Zossen (Upper Sorbian: Sosny) is a German town in the district of Teltow-Fläming in Brandenburg, approximately 20 miles (30 km) south of Berlin, and next to the B96 highway. Zossen consists of several smaller municipalities, which were grouped together in 2003 to form the city.
Church of the Holy Trinity
|Subdivisions||7 Orts- und 9 Gemeindeteile|
|• Mayor||Michaela Schreiber (Ind.)|
|• Total||179.57 km2 (69.33 sq mi)|
|Elevation||38 m (125 ft)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Since the 2003 municipal reform, Zossen consists of the following districts and municipalities:
In 1875 Zossen railway station opened on the railway line from Berlin to Dresden and the Prussian military railway to the artillery range at Kummersdorf-Gut in present-day Am Mellensee. Between 1901 and 1904, Zossen adopted the use of different high-speed vehicles, such as electric locomotives and trams, for transportation to and from Berlin-Marienfelde. These vehicles were powered by an alternating current of 15 kV and used a variable frequency. The power was transmitted by three vertical overhead lines.
In 1910 a proving ground and a garrison of the Imperial German Army was established at the Waldstadt section of the Wünsdorf community - surviving to the present day. In World War I it was the site of several prisoner-of-war camps, including the "crescent camp" (Halbmondlager for Muslims who had fought for the Triple Entente), where the first wooden mosque in Germany was erected. From 1939 to 1945, Wünsdorf hosted the underground headquarters of the German Wehrmacht (OKW) and Army's High Command (OKH). After World War II the area became the site of a Soviet military camp, the largest outside Russia, until 1990. Since then it has returned to civilian use as the Wünsdorf-Waldstadt book town.
- 1809/1810: Kietz and the vineyards of Zossen are suburbanised
- 1885: Monument to the fallen soldiers of the 1864, 1866, and 1870 wars is erected in Kietz
- 1906: School on Kirchplatz is expanded
- 1910: Military area between Zossen and Wünsdorf is developed
- 1932: Flyers of the town councillor and deacon Emil Phillip regarding the threatening change in the Protestant community and the city Zossen
- 1933: As a result of the National Socialists' rise to power, Socialists and Communists in Zossen are arrested by SS troops and are held in the school on Kirchplatz. Emil Phillip is removed from his post, upon the order of Pastor Eckerts
- 1934: Expansion of the town hall
- 1939: The military zone in Zossen is developed into military headquarters
- 1956: The city park is created
- 1992: The "Alter Krug" Zossen society is founded
- 1994: Formation of the administrative district of Teltow-Fläming from the old districts of Jüterbog, Luckenwalde, and Zossen
- 1996: 450th anniversary of Prince Elector Joachim II's awarding of rights and privileges to Zossen
Recent Population Development and Projections (Population Development before Census 2011 (blue line); Recent Population Development according to the Census in Germany in 2011 (blue bordered line); Projection by the Brandenburg state for 2005-2030 (yellow line); Projection by the Brandenburg state for 2014-2030 (red line); Projection by the Brandenburg state 2017-2030 (scarlet line)
- Hans-Jürgen Lüders (SPD) 1993-2003
- Michaela Schreiber: since 2003
- "Bevölkerung im Land Brandenburg nach amtsfreien Gemeinden, Ämtern und Gemeinden 31. Dezember 2018". Amt für Statistik Berlin-Brandenburg (in German). July 2019.
- The Forbidden City: inside the abandoned Soviet camp of Wünsdorf, The Guardian, Ciarán Fahey, 11 January 2017
- Detailed data sources are to be found in the Wikimedia Commons.Population Projection Brandenburg at Wikimedia Commons