Former House of Lords built in 1696
|• Mayor||Thomas Zwingel (SPD)|
|• Total||28.78 km2 (11.11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||306 m (1,004 ft)|
|• Density||890/km2 (2,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||0911, 09127 (Wintersdorf, Weinzierlein)|
The following towns and municipalities share borders with Zirndorf; they are listed in clockwise order, starting in the north:
The first mention of the town occurs in a document dated 9 September 1297. The town was virtually destroyed during the Thirty Years' War, though the brewing industry established in the late seventeenth century helped in its recovery. In the mid-nineteenth century, the toy industry contributed to the town’s industrial development, and remains important today.
In 1935 the city of Zirndorf applied to the German Reich Administration to have a caserne built here. The application was approved, with the condition of Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, that construction must be in the Franconian style. The plans were prepared by the Construction Office of the German Air Force, and work began on the Barracks in the spring of 1938. It was completed in mid-1940. This Spotlight and Anti-Aircraft Barracks as it was then called, was one of the best military training barracks in the Third Reich.
In 1945, soldiers of the U.S. 26th Infantry Regiment occupied the barracks. On 11 May 1949, this barracks was renamed in honor of John J. Pinder Jr., an American soldier who fell in a battle near Colleville-sur-Mer, France, on 6 June 1944. For his bravery, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.
In the decades since 1945, many American units were stationed at Pinder Barracks. The 1st Armored Division's Divisional Artillery (DIVARTY) called Zirndorf home from 1971 until shortly after the Gulf War in 1991. Shortly thereafter, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, Europe (AAFES-Europe), headquartered their operations at Pinder Barracks. In the fall of 1993, the 7th Corps Support Group moved its home to Pinder Barracks as well. Within the departure of AAFES-Europe and the 7th Corps Support Group, the chapter of America's presence in Zirndorf came to a close.
Although these barracks were abandoned in the years after 1999, the name Pinder remained by decision of the city administration as the newly formed city district "Pinder Park".
- Horst Brandstätter (1933-2015), German entrepreneur of the brand Playmobil
Sons and daughters of the townEdit
- Helmut Jahn (born 1940), architect
- Antonino Insinga (born 1972), land surveyor
Personalities who have worked on the groundEdit
- Gabriele Pauli (born 1957), politician, former district administrator of the district of Fürth
Personalities living or living on the groundEdit
- Walter Mayer (1926-2015), physicist, television pioneer
- Sylke Otto (born 1969), German racing rodler, Olympic champion, since 2008 member of the Zirndorf city council
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2019.
- Pinder Park at the Nuremberg Military Community website
- "Impressum." Playmobil. Retrieved on 27 September 2011. "geobra Brandstätter GmbH & Co. KG Brandstätterstr. 2 - 10 90513 Zirndorf Amtsgericht Fürth HR A 2190"
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 12, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Contact person Archived September 25, 2011, at the Wayback Machine." Metz. Retrieved on 17 September 2011. "Metz-Werke GmbH & Co KG, Ohmstr. 55, 90513 Zirndorf"
- Official Website (in German)