YouGov is a British international Internet-based market research and data analytics firm, headquartered in the UK, with operations in Europe, North America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific.[2]

YouGov Survey plc
Public limited company
Traded asLSEYOU
IndustryMarket research
Opinion polling
Founded2000; 19 years ago (2000)
FoundersStephan Shakespeare
Nadhim Zahawi
HeadquartersLondon, United Kingdom
Area served
Key people
Stephan Shakespeare (CEO)
Roger Parry (Chairman)
Revenue£116.6 million (2018)[1]
£20.3 million (2018)[1]
Number of employees
816 (2018)[1]


YouGov was founded in the UK in May 2000 by Stephan Shakespeare and future MP Nadhim Zahawi, at the time both active in the British Conservative Party. In 2001 they engaged BBC political analyst Peter Kellner, who became chairman, and then from 2007–2016, President.[3][4]

In April 2005, YouGov became a public company listed on the Alternative Investment Market of the London Stock Exchange.[5] Major shareholders of the company are BlackRock and Standard Life Aberdeen.[6]

Stephan Shakespeare has been YouGov's Chief Executive Officer since 2010.[7] Roger Parry has been YouGov's Chairman since 2007.[8] Since Peter Kellner's retirement, its methodology has been overseen by Stanford University professor Doug Rivers.[4]

YouGov is a member of the British Polling Council.[9]


YouGov specialises in market research through online methods. The company's methodology involves obtaining responses from an invited group of Internet users, and then weighting these responses in line with demographic information. It draws these demographically-representative samples from a panel of 6 million people worldwide including over 800,000 people in the UK.[10] As YouGov's online methods use no field-force, its costs are lower than some face-to-face or telephone methods.


In 2006 YouGov began expanding outside the UK through acquisitions and acquired Dubai-based research firm Siraj for $1.2 million plus an eventual earn out of $600,000. In 2007 they added Palo Alto, CA based US research firm Polimetrix for approximately $17 million, Scandinavian firm Zapera for $8 million and German firm Psychonomics for $20 million. In 2009 and 2010, YouGov expanded its US operations with two acquisitions; first buying Princeton, NJ research firm Clear Horizons for $600,000 plus an earn out of $2.7 million, then Connecticut-based research firm Harrison Group for $6 million with a $7 million earnout. In 2011, YouGov acquired Portland, OR-based firm Definitive Insights for $1 million with a potential $2 million earn out. In 2011, YouGov made its first organic expansion by opening an office in Paris, France. In January 2014, YouGov entered the Asia Pacific region with the acquisition of Decision Fuel for an estimated consideration of approximately £5 million.[11]

In 2010 YouGov bought a 20% stake of sports media data company SMG Insight. In 2018 the company acquired the remaining 80% of SMG Insight's stock.[12] The new business was rebranded YouGov Sport.

See alsoEdit


  1. ^ a b c "YouGov Preliminary Results 2018" (PDF). Retrieved 2018-10-20.
  2. ^ "YouGov offices". Retrieved 2015-05-31.
  3. ^ "Kellner, Peter Jon". Who's Who. (2014 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 May 2014. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
  4. ^ a b "YouGov President Peter Kellner to Step Down". MR Web. 2016-02-15.
  5. ^ "London Stock Exchange – YouGov". London Stock Exchange. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
  6. ^ "YouGov – Shareholders". YouGov: What the world thinks.
  7. ^ "Zahawi stands for parliament and steps down as yougov ceo". Research Live. 2010-02-22.
  8. ^ "Parry takes post at YouGov". The Guardian. 2007-01-15.
  9. ^ "British Polling Council Officers and Members".
  10. ^ "YouGov Panel". Retrieved 2015-05-31.
  11. ^ "Acquisition of Decision Fuel". Investegate. 2014-01-09. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
  12. ^ Katie McQuater (25 May 2018). "YouGov fully acquires SMG Insight". Research Live.

External linksEdit