York High School, York
York High School is a mixed secondary school with specialist status for sport in York, North Yorkshire, England. It has a comprehensive admissions policy, and in 2016 had an enrolment of 757 pupils ages 11–16.
|York High School|
|Department for Education URN||133946 Tables|
|Head teacher||Rod Sims|
|Age||11 to 16|
|Enrolment||757 as of January 2016[update]|
York High School was established through the 2007 merger of Oaklands School and Lowfield School. The new school initially operated on the site of Lowfield School, expanded with temporary buildings, while a new school was constructed on the site of Oaklands School.
The name of the school was chosen after a vote by pupils at the schools and the local community.
In April 2009 construction of its new buildings was completed, and the school relocated to Cornlands Road on the former site of Oaklands School.
Dijon Avenue fireEdit
Between 5–6 a.m. on the morning of Friday 3 October 2008, a third of the school buildings on the Dijon Avenue site were burnt down in a fire. Students were given the day off and local residents were advised to stay away from the site. Students were given a week off school while staff and local authority officials put into place alternative educational arrangements for the pupils, and during this week many sporting and community activities were laid on. The school's headteacher subsequently credited the fire as the turning point in the school's journey towards greater success.
Subsequently, the Dijon Avenue site was closed and all pupils are in the newly built school.
- "York High School Inspection report" (PDF). Ofsted. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "York High School". EduBase. Department for Education. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- Lewis, Haydn (23 November 2016). "Farewell to popular head of York school". York Press. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- Lewis, Haydn (1 September 2007). "York High School ready for return of pupils". York Press. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- Carroll, Steve (26 September 2006). "£10m merger unveiled as 'York High School'". York Press. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Glowing Ofsted report for York High School". The Press. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Ofsted". Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "York High School ready to take its place at heart of community". York Press. 8 April 2009. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "School badly damaged in huge fire". BBC News Online. 3 October 2008. Retrieved 3 October 2008.
- "Disaster fires up struggling school to success". The Independent. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 31 March 2011.