Xilleon is a brand for a family of SoCs combining a low-power CPU with ASICs for accelerated video decompression and further functions for major worldwide broadcast networks (including PAL, NTSC, SECAM and ATSC) targeting digital television (i.e. products like set-top boxes, Integrated digital television, digital television adapters, smart TVs, etc.).
Most Xilleon-branded SoCs have a
- 300 MHz MIPS 4Kc (MMU, no FPU)
- ASIC simultaneously decompressing two standard-definition television and two high-definition television MPEG-2-compressed streams
- two display controller
- 2D and 3D graphics engine
- conditional access
- transport demultiplexers
- 32/64 bit DDR/SDR interface
- , PCI, USB, IR, I2C, I2S, Flash and PATA interfaces
It was revealed that the next generation of AVIVO, named as Unified Video Decoder (UVD) was based on Xilleon video processor to provide hardware decoding of H.264, and VC-1 video codec standards.
List of Xilleon-branded SoCsEdit
|x226S/H||Similar to x225 but with additional video scalers/mixers and a third serial port.|
|x240||Integrated digital and analog TV tuner. No external PCI or EIDE. Single memory channel.|
A new line of Xilleon video processors for flat panel LCD TVs, named as Xilleon panel processors with four models 410, 411, 420 and 421, were announced on CES 2008. Supporting 1080p video resolution and featuring Technology advanced motion estimation, motion compensation and frame rate conversion technology based on enhanced phase-plane correlation technology, which converts 24 or 60 Hz input video signals to 100 or 120 Hz refresh rates used in most of the LCD TVs by creating additional frames to form a smoother motion.
AMD had signed an agreement with DivX, Inc. to allow several of the future Xilleon video processors to implement hardware DivX video decoding with DivX certification on January 2008. However, as a result of company restructuring, AMD has divested the digital TV chipset business starting from the second quarter of 2008.
- "Linux operating system on Xtensa processors".
- Cheung, Ken (2009-01-08). "Consumer Electronics Show Features Tensilica-enabled Products". EDA Geek. Archived from the original on 2014-04-26. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Customer Profiles | Cadence IP". Ip.cadence.com. 2014-04-13. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Tensilica News: Excellent AMD ATI Video with Xtensa". tensilica.com. 2009-10-05. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "ATI Licenses Tensilica's Xtensa Configurable Processor". Business Wire. 2004-10-18. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- CNET report on the AMD/Broadcom Deal, retrieved August 25, 2008
- Broadcom to Acquire Digital TV Business from AMD
- AMD Xilleon panel processor press presentation, retrieved January 11, 2008
- The Inquirer report Archived January 18, 2008, at the Wayback Machine: DivX inks pact with AMD - For tomorrow's tellies. Retrieved January 17, 2007