William II, Elector of Hesse
|Elector of Hesse|
|Reign||27 February 1821 – 20 November 1847|
|Born||28 July 1777|
Schloss Philippsruhe, Hesse
|Died||20 November 1847 (aged 70)|
(m. 1797; died 1841)
(m. 1841; died 1843)
Frederick William, Elector of Hesse
Marie Frederica, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen
|Father||William I, Elector of Hesse|
|Mother||Wilhelmina Caroline of Denmark|
William was the eldest surviving son of William I, Elector of Hesse and Wilhelmina Caroline of Denmark and Norway. With the Hessian troops, he was involved in the War of the Sixth Coalition against Napoleon in 1813. He succeeded as Elector of Hesse (a title that was moribund after the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806) on his father's death in 1821.
- Wilhelm (1798–1800), who died in infancy.
- Karoline (1799–1854)
- Luise (1801–1803), who died in infancy.
- Friedrich (1802–1875), later Frederick William, Elector of Hesse
- Marie Fredericka (1804–1888), who married Bernhard II, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen
- Ferdinand (1806–1806), who died in infancy.
William also had eight children by his second wife, Emilie Ortlöpp (1791–1843), daughter of Johann Christian Ortlöpp and wife Agnese Luise Sophie Wiessenberg, created (1821) Countess of Reichenbach-Lessonitz. The children bore the title Count/Countess of Reichenbach-Lessonitz:
- Luise Wilhelmine Emilie (1813–1883), who married Karl Count von Bose
- Julius Wilhelm Albrecht (1815–1822)
- Gustav Karl (1818–1861), who married Clementine Richter
- Amalie Wilhelmine Emilie (1816–1858), who married Wilhelm Count von Lückner, then Karl Baron von Watzdorf
- Emilie (1820–1891), who married Felix Count Zichy-Ferraris
- Friederike (1821–1898), who married Wilhelm Baron von Dungern
- Wilhelm (1824–1866), who married Helene Amelie Baroness Goeler von Ravensburg (ancestors of Ameli, Duchess of Oldenburg, Count Luitpold of Castell-Castell, and Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg)
- Helene (1825–1898), who married Oswald Baron von Fabrice (4x great grandparents of Princess Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark)
Several months after Augusta's death on 19 February 1841, William morganatically married his mistress and their children were legitimated. Emilie Ortlöpp died less than two years after the marriage in 1843.
Again, months after his second wife's death, William married (morganatically) Caroline, Baroness of Berlepsch (1820–1877), daughter of Ludwig Hermann, Baron of Berlepsch and Melusine Jul. Chr. von Kruse. William created the title of Countess of Bergen for Caroline in 1846. This marriage was childless. After his death, she married on 28 October 1851 Karl Adolf Graf von Hohenthal (1811–1875), by whom she had two sons: Karl Adolf (b. 1853) and Karl Ludwig (b. 1857).
William died on 20 November 1847 and was succeeded by his eldest surviving son, Frederick William, the last Elector of Hesse.
- Electorate of Hesse:
- Grand Duchy of Hesse: Grand Cross of the Ludwig Order
- Kingdom of Prussia:
- Kingdom of Hanover: Grand Cross of the Royal Guelphic Order, 1818
- Denmark: Knight of the Order of the Elephant, 16 April 1821
- Austrian Empire: Grand Cross of the Order of St. Stephen, 1821
- Ernestine duchies: Grand Cross of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order, April 1834
|Ancestors of William II, Elector of Hesse|
- After 1806, the title of Elector was meaningless, since no more Holy Roman Emperors could be elected, because the Empire had been dissolved. Nevertheless, the rulers of Hesse-Kassel still used the title.
- Hessen-Kassel (1820). "Geneaologie". Handbuch des Kurhessischen Militair-, Hof- und Civil-Staats: auf das Jahr ... 1820. pp. 1–2.
- Hessen-Kassel (1820). "Ritter-orden". Handbuch des Kurhessischen Militair-, Hof- und Civil-Staats: auf das Jahr ... 1820. pp. 11, 24, 30.
- Hessen-Kassel (1784). "Ritter-orden". Hochfürstl.-Hessen-Casselischer Staats- und Adreß-Calender: 1784. Waisen- u. Findelhaus. p. 8.
- Staat Hannover (1846). Hof- und Staatshandbuch für das Königreich Hannover: 1846. Berenberg. p. 54.
- Jørgen Pedersen (2009). Riddere af Elefantordenen, 1559–2009 (in Danish). Syddansk Universitetsforlag. p. 470. ISBN 978-87-7674-434-2.
- "A Szent István Rend tagjai" Archived 22 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Staatshandbücher für das Herzogtum Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (1847), "Herzogliche Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden" p. 23
Media related to William II, Elector of Hesse at Wikimedia Commons
William II, Elector of HesseBorn: 28 July 1777 Died: 20 November 1847
| Elector of Hesse