Stetter was long known by the notname Master W. S. with the Maltese cross until he was identified in 1952 by the scholar Jean Rott (1911–1998). As well as a painter, stylistically influenced by Hans Baldung and Albrecht Dürer, Stetter was a member of the Order of Saint John since 1510 (first as an acolyte, then ordained as a priest in 1512).
Works by Stetter are on display in the Musée de l’Œuvre Notre-Dame in his hometown, in the Unterlinden Museum in Colmar, in the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg, in the Wallraf-Richartz Museum in Cologne and in the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Nancy.
- Zafran, Eric M. "Wilhelm Stetter's "Adoration of the Magi" and a Consideration of Stetter's Painting". JSTOR 20169044.
- "Le maitre W. S. à la croix de Malte, Wilhelm Stetter [Texte imprimé] / par Jean Rott". sudoc.fr. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
Media related to Wilhelm Stetter at Wikimedia Commons