|• Mayor||Klaus-Dieter Apelt|
|• Total||23.40 km2 (9.03 sq mi)|
|Elevation||592 m (1,942 ft)|
|• Density||88/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
- 1 Geography
- 2 History
- 3 Politics
- 4 Traffic
- 5 Education
- 6 Things
- 7 Natural Monuments
- 8 Sports
- 9 Other Sports
- 10 Personality
- 11 Literature
- 12 External links
- 13 References
To Wiesensteig belongs the town of Wiesensteig, the courtyards Bläsiberg, Eckhöfe, Heidental, Reußenstein and Ziegelhof and the houses Lämmerbuckel, Papiermühle and the dialed towns Michelnbuch and Schafhaus 
Adjacent municipalities are Gruibingen in the north, Mühlhausen im Täle in the northeast, Drackenstein in the east, Hohenstadt in the south east, Westerheim (Alb-Donau-Kreis) in the south, Römerstein (Reutlingen (district)) in the southwest and Lenningen in the west and Neidlingen (both Esslingen (district)) in the northwest.
Wiesensteig was first mentioned in 861 in a document, as there was founded a Benedictine monastery.
Count Ulrich XVII of Helfenstein (1524-1570) and his brother Sebastian († 1564) introduced in 1555 the Lutheran confession in Wiesensteig. 1562/63 in the rule Wiesensteig a great witch-hunt took place in which at least 63 women and men were executed.
After the extinction of the House of Helfenstein in 1627 the Reich County Wiesensteig fell about two-thirds in 1642 by purchase to Altbayern and one third to the House of Fürstenberg (Swabia). Through a land swap the town came in 1806 to the Kingdom of Württemberg and became the seat of Oberamt Wiesensteig.
The number of inhabitants between 1837 and 2010.
|17 May 1939||1.683|
|13 September 1950||2.063|
|27 May 1970||2.632|
|31 December 1983||2.490|
|31 December 2005||2.312|
|31 December 2010||2.138|
Council and mayorEdit
The local council of Wiesensteig has since the local elections in Baden-Württemberg May 25, 2014 12 members, including two women.
The mayor Gebhard Tritschler (independent) was elected in 2010.
About the Landesstraße 1200 Wiesensteig has connection to the Bundesstraße B 466 and to the Bundesautobahn A 8. Wiesensteig is located on the Swabian Jura Route.
From 1903 to 1968 Wiesensteig was connected by the "Tälesbahn" (Geislingen-Wiesensteig) to the national rail network.
- Residence of the Helfensteiner (1551)
- St. Cyriakus (1466) with Weigle organ of 1849 
- Market with elephant fountain and half-timbered houses
- Kreuzkapelle north of Wiesensteig on the Alb plateau, the walk to the chapel is lined with stations of the Cross
- Reussenstein Castle, about 5 km northwest of Wiesensteig
- Source of the Fils, about two kilometers southwest of Wiesensteig.
The TSV Obere Fils was founded on June 24, 1972 by the merger of the two clubs TSV Wiesensteig and TSV Mühlhausen.
Sons and daughters of the townEdit
- 1704, June 1, Johann Baptist Straub, † July 15, 1784 in Munich, major sculptor of the Upper Bavarian rococo
- 1736, February 6, Franz Xaver Messerschmidt, † August 19, 1783 in Bratislava, sculptor
- 1932, March 15, Erno Seifriz, † April 4, 2012, music pedagogue, music historian and choirmaster
- 1949, December 20, Franz Steinle, lawyer, sports official (president of the German Ski Association)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wiesensteig.|
- "Bevölkerung nach Nationalität und Geschlecht am 31. Dezember 2018". Statistisches Landesamt Baden-Württemberg (in German). July 2019.
- Das Land Baden-Württemberg. Amtliche Beschreibung nach Kreisen und Gemeinden. Band III: Regierungsbezirk Stuttgart, Regionalverband Mittlerer Neckar. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 1978, ISBN 3-17-004758-2, S. 345–347.
- Warhafftige unnd Erschreckliche Thatten und handlungen der LXIII. Hexen unnd Unholden, so zu Wisenstaig, mit dem Brandt gericht worden seindt, o. O. [Nürnberg: Friedrich Gutknecht] 1563.