Walter A. Elwell
Walter A. Elwell (born April 29, 1937) is an evangelical theological academic. He is most noted for his editorial output numbering several evangelical standard reference works. He taught at Wheaton College, Illinois from 1975 to 2003 before retirement and is now professor emeritus of Bible and Theology at Wheaton College.
Walter A. Elwell
|Born||April 29, 1937|
|Title||professor emeritus of Bible and Theology at Wheaton College|
|Education||Wheaton College, University of Chicago and University of Tübingen|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh (Ph.D.)|
|Main interests||popular theology|
|Notable works||Evangelical Dictionary of Theology|
Elwell was educated at Wheaton College where he earned his B.A. and M.A. He was awarded his Ph.D. in 1970 from the University of Edinburgh after spending time at then attended the University of Chicago and University of Tübingen. He consultanted for both the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association and the Evangelical Book Club. He is also a member of the Society of Biblical Literature, Institute for Biblical Research, Evangelical Theological Society, and Chicago Society of Biblical Research. He has taught Greek at North Park College in Chicago, Illinois and a professor of Bible at Belhaven College in Jackson, Mississippi.
Elwell was born in Miami, Florida, United States and is married to Martha.
- ..., ed. (1989). The Concise Dictionary of the Christian Tradition. Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
- ..., ed. (1991). Baker Topical Guide to the Bible: New International Version. Baker Reference Library. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic.
- ..., ed. (1996). Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic.
- ..., ed. (1997). Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (4 vols). Grand Rapids: Baker Academic.
- with Yarbrough, Robert W. (1998). Readings from the First-Century World: Primary Sources for New Testament Study. Baker Academic.
- ..., ed. (2001). Evangelical Dictionary of Theology. Baker Reference Library (2nd ed.). Grand Rapids: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0-801-02075-9. - first published 1984
- ..., ed. (2001). Baker Commentary on the Bible. Baker Reference Library. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic.
- ..., ed. (2001). Baker Theological Dictionary of the Bible. Baker Reference Library. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic.
- with Yarbrough, Robert W. (2005). Encountering the New Testament: A Historical and Theological Survey (2nd ed.). Baker Academic.
- with Comfort, Philip W., ed. (2008). Tyndale Bible Dictionary. Tyndale Reference Library. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers.
- ..., ed. (2012). Topical Analysis of the Bible: A Survey of Essential Christian Doctrines. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers. ISBN 978-1-6197-0026-0.
- "Elwell's Tyndale House author profile". tyndale.com. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- Elwell, Walter A. (1970). "Aspects of the quest of the historical Jesus in the works of William Manson and James M. Robinson". Cite journal requires
- "Elwell's ChristianBook author profile". christianbook.com. Retrieved 20 November 2015.