This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Mayor||Helma Spöring (Ind.)|
|• Total||270.68 km2 (104.51 sq mi)|
|Elevation||49 m (161 ft)|
|• Density||85/km2 (220/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||Formerly SFA, however new registrations are now coming out as HK|
986 Foundation of Walsrode Abbey by Count Walo. The first recorded mention of the town is dated May 7, 986.
1383 The dukes of Brunswick and Lüneburg grant Walsrode a town charter.
1479 First recorded instance of Walsrode's coat of arms. At the end of the 15th century the sculptor Hans Brüggemann, creator of the renowned Bordesholm Altar of Schleswig Cathedral, is born in the town.
Early modern timesEdit
1757 The town is totally destroyed by a catastrophic fire.
1814 Walsrode is incorporated in the Kingdom of Hanover.
1866 Annexation of Walsrode by Prussia.
1890 Railroad first extends to Walsrode.
1897 The poet Hermann Löns first visits the town.
1935 Löns, who died in 1914, is reburied in Walsrode.
1957 The German border patrol agency (Bundesgrenzschutz) establishes a training school in the town.
Places of interestEdit
Twin towns — Sister citiesEdit
Walsrode is twinned with: