Wide Open West
Wide Open West (doing business as WOW!) is the sixth largest cable operator in the United States. The company offers landline telephone, Cable Television, and broadband Internet services. As of November 13, 2017, WOW! has about 776,400 subscribers.
|Traded as||NYSE: WOW|
Russell 2000 Component
|Teresa Elder, Chief Executive Officer and President|
|Products||Cable television, broadband Internet, landline telephone|
WOW! was founded in November 1996 in Denver, Colorado. After building a network in April 2001, WOW! initially served about 200 people in the Denver area. In November 2001, WOW! purchased Americast, an overbuild system in the Midwest built and operated by Ameritech New Media for an undisclosed amount per subscriber, estimated to have been at a cost of $600 per sub. This purchase opened WOW! to over 310,000 new customers in metropolitan areas surrounding the cities of Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Denver, and Evansville. WOW! no longer serves the Denver market.
In August 23, 2011, Wave Broadband and WOW! announced that they entered into an agreement to purchase substantially all of the assets of Broadstripe LLC, a provider of residential and commercial bundled communications services. On January 14, WOW! completed the acquisition of Broadstripe's cable systems in Michigan.
In June 2014, WOW! sold its cable, Internet and phone systems in the South Dakota markets to Clarity Telecom. Part of the multimillion-dollar deal, worth $262 million, included the markets in Iowa and Minnesota previously served by Knology and PrairieWave Communications. In March 2015 these markets would officially become known as Vast Broadband.
On June 28, 2017, WOW! officially no longer serves the Lawrence, Kansas area.
Internet availability by stateEdit
|State||Population Covered by WOW!|
- "WOW! Internet Cable and Phone - Bundle offers and support". WowWay.com. Wide Open West. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "WideOpenWest, Inc. - investor relations". ir.wowway.com. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- "About WOW!". WowWay.com. Wide Open West. Retrieved 2016-08-31.
- "WOW! Reports Third Quarter 2017 Results". WideOpenWest, Inc. November 13, 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "News" (PDF). wowway.com. WideOpenWest.
- "SBC Sells For a Song". Multichannel News.
- "WOW! to Acquire Knology for $19.75 Per Share in Cash". BusinessWire.com. 2012-04-18.
- "WOW! sells off SD systems to Clarity for $262M". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "Vast Broadband Launches In SD". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "WOW! Closes Acquisition of NuLink to Provide High-Speed Internet, Cable TV and Phone Service to Metro Atlanta" (PDF). www.wowway.com. September 12, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "Midco to Acquire WOW! System in Lawrence, KS" (PDF). www.wowway.com. October 21, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "MidCo". www.wowway.com. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- "WOW! 1 Gig Internet Speeds Now Available to More Than 95 Percent of Customers" (PDF). WOW!. 2018-03-06. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "WOW! Availability by State". broadbandnow.com. Retrieved 2017-01-16.