WAZR is a Contemporary Hit Radio formatted broadcast radio station licensed to Woodstock, Virginia, serving the Central Shenandoah Valley. WAZR is owned and operated by iHeartCommunications, Inc.
|Broadcast area||Harrisonburg, Virginia|
Central Shenandoah Valley
|Frequency||93.7 FM MHz|
|Slogan||The Valley's Hit Music Station|
|Format||Contemporary hit radio|
|Owner||iHeartCommunications, Inc. |
(iHM Licenses, LLC)
|WACL, WKCI, WKCY, WKCY-FM, WKDW, WSVO|
First air date
|October 18, 1985|
Call sign meaning
from former sister station WAZT
|HAAT||128 meters (420 ft)|
WAZR launched on October 18, 1985 and officially took its callsign on December 3. It was owned by Ruarch Associates, LLC of Woodstock, Virginia. The station would carry an adult standards format, branded as "Z-93". Ruarch sold WAZR to Clear Channel for $1.35 million in May 2001; the following year the adult standards format was moved from WAZR to WAMM at 1230 AM, while WAZR became a contemporary hit radio format, branded as "93.7 Kiss FM; The Valley's Hit Music". The station's tower was moved south into Rockingham County and puts a poor signal into Woodstock.
At noon on September 20, 2010, WAZR shifted to hot adult contemporary, branded as "Alice 93.7; Music of the 90s, 2K and Today". At the same time, the station dropped the syndicated "Elvis Duran and the Morning Show", which had been carried since May 4, 2009 from 6 to 10am. Elvis returned on July 11, 2011.
On September 5, 2011, WAZR reverted to its contemporary hit radio format, branded as "All The Hits; Alice 93-7". It would continue to keep the Alice name until noon on August 1, 2012, when it changed to "93-7 Hit Music NOW", keeping the contemporary hit radio format and was shortly thereafter shortened to "93-7 NOW; The Valley's Hit Music Station".
- "Arbitron Station Information Profiles". Nielsen Audio/Nielsen Holdings. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 2010 (PDF). ProQuest, LLC/Reed Publishing (Nederland), B.V. 2010. p. D-573. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "WAZR Facility Record". Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "Call Sign History". Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "CDBS File No. BALH - 20010510AAL". FCC CDBS.
- 93-7 NOW Online
- WAZR in the FCC's FM station database
- WAZR on Radio-Locator
- WAZR in Nielsen Audio's FM station database