W. Drake McFeely
Education and careerEdit
McFeely attended Phillips Exeter Academy and earned his B.A. in Fine Arts from Amherst College in 1976. After graduation, he was hired by W. W. Norton as a college sales representative. He was named an editor in 1982, a vice president in 1990, and was associate director of the college division from 1993 to 1994. He became Norton’s fifth president in 1994, and was appointed chairman in 2000.
Notable editorial acquisitionsEdit
Originally the economics (Economics and Economics of the Public Sector by Joseph E. Stiglitz, Intermediate Microeconomics by Hal R. Varian, Macroeconomics by Robert E. Hall and John B. Taylor) and physics (Physics by Hans C. Ohanian) editor in Norton’s college department, he still acquires and edits books in the trade division for Norton. He is the editor of a cluster of books each by Nobel Prize–winning authors Joseph E. Stiglitz and Paul Krugman, as well as Fareed Zakaria, Seamus Heaney, Sean Wilentz, Steven Pinker, and Ben Bernanke, among others. In 2004 he acquired the publishing rights to The 9/11 Commission Report, which hit #1 on a number of online bestseller lists within hours of its release, as well as #1 on the New York Times bestseller list, going on to sell over a million copies as one of the bestselling government reports of all time.
He is married to Karen McFeely (née Eliason).
- "Book Notes". The New York Times. May 18, 1994.
- "Reunions" (PDF). The Exeter Bulletin (Summer 2007): 82. July 11, 2007.
- "June 2007, ENewsletter". National Book Foundation eNewsletter. June 2007. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E. (2002). Globalization and Its Discontents. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. p. xxi. ISBN 0-393-05124-2.
- Krugman, Paul (2003). The Great Unraveling. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. p. xiii. ISBN 0-393-05850-6.
- Zakaria, Fareed (2008). The Post-American World. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. p. 270. ISBN 978-0-393-06235-9.
- "Our Trustees". ITHAKA website. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Pinker, Steven (1997). How the Mind Works. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. p. xi. ISBN 0-393-04535-8.
- "Norton to Publish Ben Bernake Memoir". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "Book version for sale". Los Angeles Times. July 22, 2004. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Wyatt, Edward (July 24, 2004). "Bookstores Counting Strong Sales for the Commission's Report". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Wyatt, Edward (July 28, 2004). "For Publisher of 9/11 Report, a Royalty-Free Windfall". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Wyatt, Edward (July 21, 2005). "Publisher Names 9/11 Charities". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Officers and Board of Directors". Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "About Us - Board of Directors". Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Peter J. Dougherty, Director of Princeton University Press". Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Karen Gail Eliason Sets August Bridal" (PDF). The New York Times. January 22, 1978. Retrieved 18 March 2013.