W. Bond (crater)
W. Bond is an irregularly shaped lunar walled plain that is located in the northern part of the Moon, to the north of the Mare Frigoris. It lies to the east of the crater Birmingham, and south-southwest of Barrow. Epigenes is located just to the northwest of the outer rim. Along the southwest edge, between W. Bond and the lunar mare, is the crater Timaeus.
Lunar Orbiter 4 image
|Colongitude||2° at sunrise|
|Eponym||William C. Bond|
What remains of the outer rim of W. Bond has been eroded and reshaped until it now consists of little more than an outline of hills and mounts. The most prominent of these is a nearly linear range along the northwest rim, which is divided in half by the satellite crater Epigenes A. The southeast rim is also relatively well defined, but the remainder is irregular, notched, and not very prominent.
The interior floor is relatively flat in comparison with the rim region, although there are sections of rough terrain near the northern rim. In the center of the walled plain is a narrow rille that runs toward the eastern rim. To the southeast of this formation is W. Bond B, a circular, bowl-shaped crater. The smaller W. Bond C is located just to the northeast.
In older publications this formation was identified as W. C. Bond.
- Andersson, L. E.; Whitaker, E. A. (1982). NASA Catalogue of Lunar Nomenclature. NASA RP-1097.
- Blue, Jennifer (July 25, 2007). "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature". USGS. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- Bussey, B.; Spudis, P. (2004). The Clementine Atlas of the Moon. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-81528-4.
- Cocks, Elijah E.; Cocks, Josiah C. (1995). Who's Who on the Moon: A Biographical Dictionary of Lunar Nomenclature. Tudor Publishers. ISBN 978-0-936389-27-1.
- McDowell, Jonathan (July 15, 2007). "Lunar Nomenclature". Jonathan's Space Report. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Menzel, D. H.; Minnaert, M.; Levin, B.; Dollfus, A.; Bell, B. (1971). "Report on Lunar Nomenclature by the Working Group of Commission 17 of the IAU". Space Science Reviews. 12 (2): 136–186. Bibcode:1971SSRv...12..136M. doi:10.1007/BF00171763.
- Moore, Patrick (2001). On the Moon. Sterling Publishing Co. ISBN 978-0-304-35469-6.
- Price, Fred W. (1988). The Moon Observer's Handbook. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-33500-3.
- Rükl, Antonín (1990). Atlas of the Moon. Kalmbach Books. ISBN 978-0-913135-17-4.
- Webb, Rev. T. W. (1962). Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes (6th revised ed.). Dover. ISBN 978-0-486-20917-3.
- Whitaker, Ewen A. (1999). Mapping and Naming the Moon. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-62248-6.
- Wlasuk, Peter T. (2000). Observing the Moon. Springer. ISBN 978-1-85233-193-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Image:Lunar_crater_W._Bond.png.|