Vizhinjam is a village located near Kovalam in south Kerala, India. It has a population of 20,714 (2011, India Census). Adani Ports (APSEZ), India’s biggest private port operator, is currently developing the Adani Vizhinjam Port at Vizhinjam.
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
As per historians, Vizhinjam, located at the extreme south-western tip of South Asia, served as an important port throughout the history of the region. The location is economically and geopolitically significant as a key point connecting the shipping between Southeast Asia and the Middle East.
An international port at Vizhinjam was conceived as early as 1991. In August 2015, the Kerala government and Adani Vizhinjam Port (AVPL), representing the Adani Group, signed the agreement for the Adani Vizhinjam project. AVPL was the only bidder for the project.
As per the details of the agreement, Adani Group is free to operate the Vizhinjam port for 40 years (extendable by 20 more years). The Kerala state government will start getting a portion of the revenue from the port after 15 years. The project also includes 360 acres of land (of which around 36% are reclaimed from the sea) and a railway line (around 10 km long). The deadline for the commission of Phase I, Adani Vizhinjam Port was fixed on December 4, 2019 in the 2015 agreement.
The project commenced on December 5, 2015. AVPL had announced that the "first ship will berth at Vizhinjam" on September 1, 2018 (the 1,000 days target). The AVPL is currently seeking an extension of the Phase I commission deadline to October 2020 from the Kerala government.
As per a Reuters report, China had also wanted to partner with an un-named Indian company to build the port, but its overture was rejected by New Delhi on grounds of national security. It is speculated that the port will have berths for India's navy and coastguard.
|Airport||Trivandrum International Airport||14 kilometres (8.7 mi)|
|Railway station||Trivandrum Central||14 kilometres (8.7 mi)|
- Manoj, P. (2019, August 19). Adani to buy 70% stake in Krishnapatnam Port for over ₹ 5,500 crore. The Hindu BusinessLine, Retrieved from www.thehindubusinessline.com  
- Radhakrishnan, S. Anil (17 September 2019). "Another extension for Vizhinjam port project?". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "Adani seeks help from Kerala govt on Vizhinjam Port". Mathrubhumi. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "Adani Port seeks time till October, 2020". Deccan Chronicle. 15 September 2019. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- Verma, Nidhi and Das, Krishna N. (2016, July 28). With eye on China, India doubles down on container hub ports. Reuters, Retrieved from in.reuters.com  
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vizhinjam.|