Via Severiana was an ancient Roman road in central Italy leading from Latium to Campania (now in Lazio), running southeast from Ostia to Terracina, a distance of 80 Roman miles (c. 118 kilometres (73 mi)) along the coast. It took its name from the restoration of existing roads with the work carried out in 198 AD during the reign of emperor Septimius Severus.
Temple of Jupiter in Terracina
|Location||Portus/Ostia to Terracina|
|Builder||Roman Republic, Gnaeus Egnatius proconsul of Macedonia|
It ran along the shore at first, just behind the line of villas which fronted the sea, and are now some 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) inland, or even upon its edge (for an inscription records its being damaged by the waves). Farther southeast it seems to have kept rather more distant from the shore, and it probably kept within the lagoons below the Circean promontory. Cities connected by the Via Severiana included Portus (the starting point), Ostia, Laurentum, Lavinium, Antium (modern Anzio and Nettuno), Astura (modern Torre Astura) and Tarracina.
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Ashby, Thomas (1911). "Severiana, Via". In Chisholm, Hugh (ed.). Encyclopædia Britannica. 24 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 723.
- Paola Brandizzi Vittucci, Antium: Anzio e Nettuno in epoca romana, Roma, Bardi Editore, 2000. ISBN 88-85699-83-9