Verbt (definite Albanian form: Verbti) is a weather and storm god in Albanian mythology and folklore, who causes hailstorms and controls fire, water, and the northern wind which fans the flames of fire. Also known as Shën Verbti or Rmoria, he was worshiped in northern Albania until recent times. In Albanian mythology, Verbti is the counterpart of another weather god, Shurdh. As weather gods, they both could be related to Zojz and Perëndi, while as a fire god, Verbti could be related to Enji. Some of his attributes are similar to those of the mythological figures of drangue, Stihi and Ljubi.
The name Verbti appears to be connected with the Albanian term i verbër meaning "the blind one", however this link seems to be only a coincidence, since according to folk beliefs he can actually see very well. The name Verbt must be related to vorbull/vorbëtinë, "whirlpool, -wind, vortex, swirl", probably derived from Proto-Albanian *uērb-, from Proto-Indo-European *uer-b(h)-, "to revolve, twist, turn (down)".
According to folk beliefs, Verbti resides in the clouds, causes hailstorms and controls fire, water and the northern wind which fans the flames of fire. He can be greeted and turned away with noise and gunshots. Verbti is depicted as a deity who hates uncleanliness and bad ways of speaking and he will punish anyone who speaks badly of him. With the coming of Christianity in Albania, Verbti was demonized and it was spread about that anyone who invoked him would go blind.
- Demiraj, Bardhyl (1997). Albanische Etymologien: Untersuchungen zum albanischen Erbwortschatz. Leiden Studies in Indo-European (in German). 7. Amsterdam, Atlanta: Rodopi.
- Elsie, Robert (2001). A dictionary of Albanian religion, mythology and folk culture. NYU Press. p. 259. ISBN 978-1-85065-570-1.
- Rose, Carol (1996). Spirits, fairies, gnomes, and goblins: an encyclopedia of the little people. ABC-CLIO. pp. 327. ISBN 978-0-87436-811-6.
- Lurker, Manfred (2004). The Routledge dictionary of gods and goddesses, devils and demons. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-34018-2.
- Treimer, Karl (1971). "Zur Rückerschliessung der illyrischen Götterwelt und ihre Bedeutung für die südslawische Philologie". In Henrik Barić (ed.). Arhiv za Arbanasku starinu, jezik i etnologiju. I. R. Trofenik. pp. 27–33.
|This article relating to a European folklore is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|