Ventnor City School District
Ventnor City School District is a community public school district that serves students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade from Ventnor City, in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. The school's motto is VECC: We Think Achievement.
|Ventnor City School District|
|400 N. Lafayette Avenue|
Ventnor, NJ 08406
|Business administrator||Terri Nowotny|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||1,101 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||B|
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "B", the second lowest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Public school students in ninth through twelfth grades, along with those from Brigantine and Margate City, attend Atlantic City High School in neighboring Atlantic City, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Atlantic City School District that has existed since 1920. As of the 2014-15 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 2,010 students and 200.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.1:1.
The Ventnor district has considered options for an alternative high school sending relationship.
The Ventnor City School District operates two schools for PreK-8 within the Ventnor Educational Community Complex. Schools in the district (with 2014-15 enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics) are:
- Ventnor Elementary School with 444 students in grades PreK-5
- Carmela Somershoe, Principal
- Ventnor Middle School with 334 students in grades 6-8
- Rob Baker, Principal
The original school was built in 1970, with renovations in 1974, 1997 and 2001.
- Eileen Johnson, Superintendent
- Terri Nowotny, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Ventnor City School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- Atlantic City Public School District 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 26, 2017. "The Atlantic City Public School District is a Pre-K to 12 school district operating Eleven (11) schools. Our Pre-K through 8th grade schools serve Atlantic City, while our high school serves the students of Atlantic City, Ventnor, Brigantine, Margate and Longport. "
- Rotondo, Christie. "Shore towns may pay less as Atlantic City schools slash budgets", The Press of Atlantic City, June 14, 2015. Accessed November 26, 2017. "Over the years, Brigantine, Ventnor, Margate and Longport have criticized the high cost of tuition to send their students to Atlantic City High School."
- School data for Atlantic City High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Lemongello, Steven. "Ventnor school district waiting, watching as Brigantine attempts to pull students from Atlantic City High School", The Press of Atlantic City, March 14, 2011. Accessed October 25, 2014. "The Brigantine School District has already sought to sever its relationship with Atlantic City High School, and now Ventnor is weighing its options. The Ventnor School District is in a 'wait-and-see pattern' when it comes to Brigantine's bid to send its students to Cedar Creek High School in Egg Harbor City, Ventnor Superintendent Carmine Bonanni said. A successful effort by Brigantine could lead the way for Ventnor, one of three other Atlantic City High School sending districts, to make a change."
- School Data for the Ventnor City School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Ventnor City School District, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Ventnor Elementary School, Ventnor City School District. Accessed May 22, 2017.
- Administration, Ventnor City School District. Accessed May 22, 2017.
- Ventnor Middle School, Ventnor City School District. Accessed May 22, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Atlantic County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.