United States Space Force rank insignia
United States Space Force rank insignia are used to indicate the rank and status of its officers and enlisted personnel. Equivalency between the military services is indicated by associated NATO code and pay grade.
|Uniformed Services pay grade||Officer candidate||O-1||O-2||O-3||O-4||O-5||O-6||O-7||O-8||O-9||O-10||Special grade|
|Service dress uniform||Various|
|Second lieutenant||First lieutenant||Captain||Major||Lieutenant colonel||Colonel||Brigadier general||Major general||Lieutenant general||General|
|Abbreviation||Cdt / OT||2d Lt||1st Lt||Capt||Maj||Lt Col||Col||Brig Gen||Maj Gen||Lt Gen||Gen|
|Uniformed Services pay grade||E-1||E-2||E-3||E-4||E-5||E-6||E-7||E-8||E-9|
|Service dress uniform|
|Title||Airman basic||Airman||Airman first class||Senior airman||Staff sergeant||Technical sergeant||Master sergeant||First sergeant||Senior master sergeant||First sergeant||Chief master sergeant||First sergeant||Command chief master sergeant||Senior enlisted advisor of the Space Force||Senior enlisted advisor to the chairman|
|Abbreviation||AB||Amn||A1C||SrA||SSgt||TSgt||MSgt[note 1]||SMSgt[note 1]||CMSgt[note 1]||SEASF||SEAC|
Rank insignia wearEdit
On the service dress uniform metal rank is worn on the epaulets. On the OCP uniform, the Space Force's combat utility uniform, embroidered navy blue rank is worn on an OCP patch on the center of the chest.
The creation of the Space Force marked the first time since the 1947 creation of the Air Force that a new branch was created. This created an interest in the rank structure and insignia. In February 2020, it was announced that the Space Force would ask military space professionals for opinions on ranks.
Eighty-six graduates of the United States Air Force Academy class of 2020 commissioned directly into the USSF, becoming the service's first new officers and second lieutenants. On July 28, 2020, four general officers from the Air Force were nominated to transfer to the Space Force in their current grade of major general, and then be promoted to lieutenant general. On August 6, 2020, a number of Air Force officers are being transferred to the Space Force in the ranks of major, lieutenant colonel and colonel.  On September 1, 2020, the Air Force transferred 2410 active-duty airmen to the Space Force to become enlisted space professionals. The space professionals were all transferred to the Space Force in their current enlisted ranks.
The Space Force was set to announce its new rank structure in late August 2020 but decided to delay it temporarily, as a proposed amendment included in the United States House of Representatives's version of the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act would require the Space Force to adopt a rank structure based on that of the United States Navy for its officers and enlisted space professionals. The Space Force will wait until after the 2021 NDAA is passed, before moving forward with their permanent rank structure. Until then, all members of the Space Force currently retain their respective grade and rank carried over from the Air Force. On November 16, 2020, the Senate passed the House of Representative's version of the NDAA, but attached an amendment which would remove the clause requiring the Space Force to adopt naval ranks, and sent it back to the House for consideration. The House unanimously disagreed with the Senate's amendment and sent the amended bill back to their armed services committee on November 18, for consideration of passage.
- "CMSgt Towberman sworn in as the first Senior Enlisted Advisor for the". United States Space Force. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
- Seck, Hope Hodge (17 January 2020). "Space Force Offers First Peek at Camouflage Uniform". Military.com. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- "AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2903" (PDF). 7 February 2020.
- Erwin, Sandra (13 February 2020). "Space Force soliciting opinions on members' name and ranks". Space News. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
- Cohen, Rachel S. "USAFA Graduates First Space Force Lieutenants". Air Force Magazine. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- General Officer Announcements
- Senate.gov - Nominations
- Congress.gov, PN2172 — Space Force
- Kirby, Lynn (1 September 2020). "2.4k Airmen to transfer into Space Force beginning Sept. 1". United States Space Force. Space Force Public Affairs. Retrieved 11 September 2020.
- White, Kayla (3 September 2020). "AUAB Airmen make history as first deployed Space Force members". United States Space Force. 379th Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs. Retrieved 11 September 2020.
- Pawlyk, Oriana (August 27, 2020). "Space Force Was Set to Announce Its New Rank Structure. Then, Congress Stepped In". Military.com. Retrieved October 15, 2020.
- Pawlyk, Oriana (21 July 2020). "Space Admiral? House Lawmakers Want Navy Ranks for Space Force". Military.com. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "How will the Space Force impact me". spaceforce.mil. United States Space Force. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "H.R.6395 - National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 - All Actions". Congress.gov. November 18, 2020. Retrieved November 19, 2020.