Tripoli Cathedral (Italian: La Cattedrale di Tripoli; Arabic: كاتدرائية طرابلس) is a former Roman Catholic church located in Tripoli, the capital of Libya. It is situated on the Algeria/Elgazayer Square (Maidan al Jazair/Maydan elgazayer) in the city centre. It was converted into a mosque in 1970, with the St. Francis Pro-Cathedral now serving as temporary cathedral for the Apostolic Vicariate of Tripoli.
The Cathedral of Tripoli in the 1960s
|Affiliation||Currently Islam; formerly Roman Catholic Church|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Cathedral|
The Tripoli Cathedral was built circa 1923 and officially opened in 1928, during the Italian Libya colonial era. The original architect was Saffo Panteri, who designed the Cathedral in a Romanesque style with a cupola (dome) reaching the height of 46 meters in total. The belltower (campanile) was decorated with Venetian style engravings.
There were around 50,000 Catholics in Libya (mostly in Tripoli and surroundings), comprising less than one percent of the population. Most of the Catholic population was composed of the remaining Italian Libyans, Maltese Libyans, Filipinos and other Catholic migrants. Most of whom had already left Libya by 2010 - 2015 and the 2011 civil war.
Gamal Abdel Nasser MosqueEdit
After rising to power, the Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi converted the Tripoli Cathedral into a mosque, the Gamal Abdel Nasser Mosque. After having been significantly modified, many of its original features were removed and replaced with more modern Arabesque-style architecture.