Trent is a village and civil parish in northwest Dorset, England, situated in the Yeo valley 4 miles (6.4 km) northwest of Sherborne and four miles northeast of Yeovil. It was formerly in Somerset. In the 2011 census the parish—which includes the small settlement of Adber to the north—had a population of 317.
The church of St Andrew
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
The Trent Estate is owned by the Ernest Cook Trust, purchased by Ernest Cook in 1935 as the first of a number of English estates he purchased for their protection. The village has good architecture from the Medieval, Tudor, and later periods, with many trees in the background. The church of St Andrew is architecturally interesting and the lateral tower is topped by one of the three ancient stone spires of Dorset. The church was built in the 13th century and enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries. Restoration and refitting was done about 1840 in a pre-Victorian way. Features of interest include the rood screen, the pulpit of continental origin, the 16th century bench ends and the old painted glass in the east window.
- "Area: Trent (Parish), Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Betjeman, John, ed. (1968) Collins Pocket Guide to English Parish Churches; the South. London: Collins; p. 177
- "Somerset Hundreds". GENUKI. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trent, Dorset.|
|This Dorset location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|