Panorama of the Old Town of Tirschenreuth
|Admin. region||Upper Palatinate|
|• Mayor||Franz Stahl (CSU)|
|• Total||66.54 km2 (25.69 sq mi)|
|Elevation||504 m (1,654 ft)|
|• Density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||TIR, KEM|
The following villages were incorporated in Tirschenreuth
- Pilmersreuth a. d. Straße
- Pilmersreuth a. Wald
Until the German Mediatisation in 1803, Tirschenreuth was part of the possessions of the Cistercian Abbey Waldsassen. It received its town charter from Waldsassen's abbot Johann V. in 1364. Originally the Waldsassen Abbey and its possessions were immediately subordinate to the Holy Roman Empire. After this state was ended in the 16th century, Tirschenreuth first became part of the Electorate of the Palatinate, then part of Bavaria. It became capital of the district of the same name. In 1972, when the segmenting of bavarian districts was reformed, the district of Tirschenreuth was expanded with the former district of Kemnath.
Tirschenreuth was famous for fine quality porcelain and vintage pieces are highly sought after by collectors. The Famous Porcelain Factory was shut down many years ago.
Tirschenreuth is twinned with: