Theological School of St. Lawrence University

The Theological School of St. Lawrence University was founded in 1856 at St. Lawrence University and closed in 1965, one of the three Universalist seminaries (Crane Divinity School and Ryder Divinity School being the others).[1]

Theological School of St. Lawrence University
TypeSeminary
Active1856–1965
AffiliationUniversalist
Location,

ClosureEdit

The school closed in 1965 with the consolidation of the Universalist Church of America and the American Unitarian Association into the Unitarian Universalist Association.

Student bodyEdit

1858: 4 students

Notable graduates include Olympia Brown in 1863—the first woman in America to receive ordination with full denominational authority.

Leaders[2]Edit

  • 1856–1879: Ebenezer Fisher (president)
  • 1879–1898: Isaac Morgan Atwood (president)
  • 1899–1913: Henry Prentiss Forbes (dean)
  • 1914–1951: John Murray Atwood (dean)
  • 1951–1960: Angus Hector MacLean (dean)
  • 1960–1965: Max Kapp (dean)

ReferencesEdit

Coordinates: 44°35′34″N 75°9′37″W / 44.59278°N 75.16028°W / 44.59278; -75.16028