The Spotted Pig
The Spotted Pig is a gastropub located at 314 West 11th Street (at Greenwich Street) in the West Village in Manhattan in New York City. The 100-seat gastropub is owned by Ken Friedman. Mario Batali served as a primary investor. The chef is April Bloomfield, a British expatriate celebrity chef who was hired after flying to New York and interviewing with Mario Batali and Freidman. The restaurant held a single Michelin Star from about 2006 to 2016.
|The Spotted Pig|
|Food type||European (modern), gastropub, hamburgers|
|City||New York City|
Sexual harassment and assaultEdit
In December 2017, owner Ken Friedman was accused of multiple cases of sexual harassment in an article published in the New York Times. The authors interviewed many employees who said April Bloomfield was aware of his behavior, but did nothing to shield employees from it. The article included the statement that "several other employees say they also brought their complaints and concerns about Mr. Friedman to Ms. Bloomfield. Her response was always the same. 'That's who he is. Get used to it. Or go work for someone else'". April Bloomfield was also aware of her restaurant's third floor nickname, "the rape room". Mario Batali, an investor, was a frequent visitor and also accused of criminal behavior on the third floor. Friedman subsequently resigned from management duties of their restaurant group. Shortly after in December 2017, Bloomfield posted an apology on Twitter for not protecting her staff.
- "The Spotted Pig". Zagat. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "The Spotted Pig" New York Magazine
- "The Spotted Pig". New York Magazine. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Sutton, Ryan (2016-11-11). "Bib Gourmand Shocker: The Spotted Pig Loses Its Michelin Star". Eater NY. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- Moskin, Julia (12 December 2017). "Ken Friedman, Power Restaurateur, Is Accused of Sexual Harassment". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Dai, Serena (12 December 2017). "The Spotted Pig's Ken Friedman Accused of Sexual Harassment". Eater. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
|This US-based restaurant or restaurant chain article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Manhattan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|