The Night Runner
The Night Runner is a 1957 American film noir drama film directed by Abner Biberman, produced by Albert J.Cohen, with a screenplay by Gene Levitt. "The Night Runner" stars Ray Danton and Colleen Miller. A released mental patient falls in love but can't control his violent urges.
|The Night Runner|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Abner Biberman|
|Produced by||Albert J. Cohen|
|Screenplay by||Gene Levitt|
|Music by||Joseph Gershenson|
|Edited by||Al Joseph|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Roy Turner (Danton), a mental patient with a violent past, is prematurely released from the ward due to overcrowding. The doctors tell him to avoid stressful situations. Realizing that he can't handle the pressures of big-city life he moves into a beachside motel in a small coastal town. There he falls in love with Susan Mayes (Miller), the daughter of the motel's owner. But when her father discovers that he is a mental patient he threatens Turner to have him recommitted unless he leaves his daughter alone. Turner snaps momentarily, killing him, and he and Susan flee down the beach. He tries to kill her by pushing her into the water, but comes to his senses and rescues her. He ends up turning himself in.
- Ray Danton as Roy Turner
- Colleen Miller as Susan Mayes
- Merry Anders as Amy Hansen
- Willis Bouchey as Loren Mayes
- Harry Jackson as Hank Hanson
- Roberto Anderson as Ed Wallace
- Jess Inness as Miss Dodd
- Eddy Waller as Vernon
- John Stephenson as Dr. Crawford
- Alexander Campbell as Dr. Royce
- Natalie Masters as Miss Lowell
- Richard H. Cutting as Male Interviewer (as Richard Cutting)
- Steve Pendleton as Captain Reynolds
- Jack Lomas as Real Estate Man
- Bill Erwin as McDermott
- The Night Runner at the American Film Institute Catalog.
- Reid, John Howard (August 1, 2006). Great Cinema Detectives: Best Movies of Mystery, Suspense & Film Noir. Lulu.com, pages 168-170. ISBN 9781847286857.
- " Night Runner Review by Dennis Schwartz". homepages.sover.net. Retrieved February 6, 2016.