The Life Scientific
The Life Scientific is a BBC Radio 4 science programme, presented by Professor Jim Al-Khalili, in which each episode is dedicated to the biography and work of one living scientist. The programme consists of an interview between Jim al-Khalili and the featured scientist. A variety of third parties contribute anecdotes about each programme's subject.
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Home station||BBC Radio 4|
|Hosted by||Jim Al-Khalili|
|Original release||11 October 2011– present|
|No. of episodes||137|
Guests have included:
|Paul Nurse||11 October 2011||Biology, winning the Nobel Prize and being President of the Royal Society|||
|Steven Pinker||18 October 2011||Science writing and cognitive psychology|||
|Jocelyn Bell Burnell||25 October 2011||Astronomy|||
|Michael Marmot||1 November 2011||How stress kills|||
|Colin Blakemore||8 November 2011||Neuroscience|||
|Molly Stevens||15 November 2011||Growing human bones in a test tube|||
|Nicky Clayton||22 November 2011||The intelligence of birds|||
|John Sulston||29 November 2011||Biology|||
|Uta Frith||6 December 2011||Changing how we view brain disorders|||
|Tim Hunt||13 December 2011||Molecular biology and winning the Nobel Prize|||
|Robert Winston||20 December 2011||IVF, the House of Lords and scientists' ethical responsiility|||
|Colin Pillinger||27 December 2011||Life on Mars|||
|Robin Murray||7 February 2012||The cause of schizophrenia|||
|Chris Stringer||14 February 2012||Paleoanthropology and who our ancestors were|||
|Tony Ryan||21 February 2012||The future of nanotechnology|||
|Iain Chalmers||28 February 2012||Health services||
|Martin Rees||6 March 2012||The multiverse||
|John Lawton||13 March 2012||Ecology|
|Tejinder Virdee||20 March 2012||The search for the Higgs boson|
|Angela Gallop||27 March 2012||Forensic science|
|James Lovelock||8 May 2012||The Gaia hypothesis, microwave ovens|||
|Frances Ashcroft||15 May 2012||The link between blood sugar and insulin|
|Lloyd Peck||22 May 2012||Giant sea spiders|
|Barbara Sahakian||29 May 2012||Alzheimer's Disease|
|Bob May||5 June 2012||Public trust||
|John Pickett||12 June 2012||GM wheat|
|Steve Jones||7 August 2012||Snail studies|
|Pat Wolseley||14 August 2012||Her obsession with lichen|
|Martin Siegert||21 August 2012||Under the Antarctic ice|
|Ann Dowling||28 August 2012||Silent aircraft||
|Richard Dawkins||4 September 2012||Being a biologist and author|
|Andrea Sella||11 September 2012||Why my chemistry demonstrations are filling theatres|
|David Nutt||18 September 2012||Research into drugs and the brain|
|Sunetra Gupta||25 September 2012||Being a scientist and novelist|
|Mark Walport||2 October 2012||Being Government Chief Scientific Advisor|
|Hugh Montgomery||9 October 2012||The gene for fitness|
|Monica Grady||16 October 2012||Life on Mars|
|Jared Diamond||4 December 2012||Gall bladders, global history and the birds of Papua New Guinea||
|John Gurdon||18 December 2012||Cloning a frog decades before Dolly the Sheep|
|Amoret Whitaker||8 January 2013||Insects and their role in helping solve crimes|||
|Robert Mair||15 January 2013||Tunnelling under Big Ben, Crossrail and engineering for the future|||
|Annette Karmiloff-Smith||22 January 2013||Should babies under two watch TV?|||
|Noel Sharkey||29 January 2013||Robotics and psychology|||
|Valerie Beral||5 February 2013||Breast cancer|||
|Alan Watson||19 February 2013||His quest to discover the source of cosmic rays|||
|Sue Ion||26 February 2013||Working in the nuclear industry|||
|Nancy Rothwell||7 May 2013||Neuroscience|||
|Sanjeev Gupta||14 May 2013||What links the English Channel to valleys on Mars?|||
|John Krebs||21 May 2013||Birds, foot and mouth disease and badgers|||
|Linda Partridge||28 May 2013||The science of longevity|||
|Athene Donald||4 June 2013||The physics behind everyday stuff|||
|Ewan Birney||11 June 2013||Deciphering the human genome and junk DNA|||
|David Spiegelhalter||18 June 2013||Risk and uncertainty|||
|Elizabeth Stokoe||25 June 2013||Studying real-life conversations|||
|Russell Foster||20 August 2013||Circadian rhythms and jet lag|||
|Joanna Haigh||27 August 2013||Climate|||
|Mark Lythgoe||3 September 2013||Medical imaging and mountain climbing|||
|Mike Benton||10 September 2013||Digging up dinosaurs in remote places|||
|Ian Stewart||17 September 2013||Sci-fi and popularising maths|||
|Sophie Scott||24 September 2013||The science of laughter|||
|Jenny Graves||1 October 2013||Kangaroos and the death of the Y chromosome|||
|Wendy Hall||8 October 2013||The development of the web|||
|Peter Higgs||18 February 2014||The real story of the Higgs boson|||
|Sue Black||25 February 2014||Identifying human bodies|||
|Vikram Patel||4 March 2014||Global mental health|||
|Mark Miodownik||11 March 2014||Nuclear weapons, 3D printers and smart materials|||
|Anne Glover||18 March 2014||Glow-in-the-dark bacteria and advising ministers|||
|Alf Adams||25 March 2014||His small idea that changed the world (the strained-layer quantum-well laser)|||
|Veronica van Heyningen||1 April 2014||The gene that builds the eye|||
|Julia Slingo||8 April 2014||Being chief scientist at the Met Office|||
|Michael Rutter||3 June 2014||Child psychiatry|||
|Janet Hemingway||10 June 2014||Malaria and the coming of insecticide resistance|||
|Chris Lintott||17 June 2014||Crowd sourced astronomy and Galaxy Zoo|||
|Sandy Knapp||24 June 2014||Her adventures collecting plants in South America|||
|Chris Llewellyn Smith||1 July 2014||Nuclear fusion|||
|Zoe Shipton||8 July 2014||Fracking|||
|Jeremy Farrar||15 July 2014||Fighting viruses|||
|Carol Robinson||22 July 2014||Chemistry|||
|Brian Cox||23 September 2014||Quantum mechanics|||
|Jackie Akhavan||30 September 2014||Explosives|||
|Elspeth Garman||7 October 2014||Crystallography|||
|Chris Toumazou||14 October 2014||Inventing medical devices|||
|Margaret Boden||21 October 2014||Artificial intelligence|||
|Richard Fortey||28 October 2014||Fossils|||
|Sally Davies||4 November 2014||Public health|||
|Dave Goulson||11 November 2014||Bees|||
|John O'Keefe||10 March 2015||Memory|||
|Matt Taylor||17 March 2015||The Rosetta space mission|||
|Sarah-Jayne Blakemore||24 March 2015||Teenage brains|||
|Jane Francis||31 March 2015||Antarctica|||
|Stephanie Shirley||7 April 2015||Computer coding|||
|Nigel Shadbolt||14 April 2015||The World Wide Web|||
|Susan Jebb||21 April 2015||Nutrition|||
|Anil Seth||16 June 2015||Consciousness|||
|Kate Jones||23 June 2015||Bats and biodiversity|||
|Henry Marsh||30 June 2015||Brain surgery|||
|Dorothy Bishop||7 July 2015||Language disorders|||
|Carlos Frenk||14 July 2015||Dark matter|||
|Niamh Nic Daéid||21 July 2015||Forensic science|||
|E. O. Wilson||28 July 2015||Ants and evolution|||
|Geoff Palmer||4 August 2015||Brewing|||
|Carol Black||6 October 2015||Public health|||
|Danielle George||13 October 2015||Electronics|||
|Robert Plomin||20 October 2015||The genetics of intelligence|||
|Patrick Vallance||3 November 2015||Pharmaceuticals|||
|Kathy Willis||10 November 2015||Botany|||
|Paul Younger||17 November 2015||Energy for the future|||
|Peter Piot||9 February 2016||Tackling ebola and HIV|||
|Naomi Climer||16 February 2016||Engineering|||
|Nick Lane||23 February 2016||The origin of life on earth|||
|George Davey Smith||1 March 2016||Health inequalities|||
|Venki Ramakrishnan||8 March 2016||Ribosomes|||
|Helen Sharman||15 March 2016||Being an astronaut|||
|Carolyn Roberts||22 March 2016||Flood control|||
|Lawrence Krauss||31 May 2016||Dark energy|||
|Marcus du Sautoy||7 June 2016||Mathematics|||
|Sheila Rowan||14 June 2016||Gravitational waves|||
|Nick Davies||21 June 2016||Cuckoos|||
|Hazel Rymer||28 June 2016||Volcanoes|||
|Faraneh Vargha-Khadem||5 July 2016||Memory|||
|Georgina Mace||12 July 2016||Threatened species|||
|Trevor Cox||19 July 2016||Sound|||
|Ian Wilmut||4 October 2016||Dolly the Sheep|||
|Frans de Waal||11 October 2016||Chimpanzees|||
|Lynne Boddy||15 November 2016||Fungi||
|Roger Penrose||22 November 2016||Black holes, quantum mechanics, consciousness|||
|Julia Higgins||29 November 2016||Polymers|||
|Richard Morris||6 December 2016||How we know where we are|||
|Neil deGrasse Tyson||20 December 2016||Pluto|||
|Michele Dougherty||10 January 2017||Saturn|||
|Jan Zalasiewicz||17 January 2017||The Age of Man|||
|Sadaf Farooqi||24 January 2017||What makes us fat|||
|Alison Smith||31 January 2017||Algae|||
|Sean Carroll||7 February 2017||How time and space began|||
|Simon Wessely||14 February 2017||Unexplained medical syndromes|||
|Alan Winfield||21 February 2017||Robot ethics|||
|Alison Woollard||28 February 2017||What she has learnt from mutant worms|||
|Daniel Dennett||4 April 2017||The evolution of the human brain|||
|Nick Fraser||11 April 2017||Triassic reptiles|||
|Liz Sockett||18 April 2017||Friendly killer bacteria|||
|Graham MacGregor||25 April 2017||Tackling the demons in our diet|||
|Ann Clarke||2 May 2017||The Frozen Ark|||
|Fay Dowker||9 May 2017||A new theory of space-time|||
|Ottoline Leyser||16 May 2017||How plants decide what to do|||
|Tim O'Brien||23 May 2017||Transient stars and science and music festivals|||
|Tamsin Mather||30 May 2017||Volcanology|||
|Jennifer Doudna||19 September 2017||Gene editing|||
|Tracey Rogers||26 September 2017||Leopard seals and Antarctica|||
|Lucie Green||3 October 2017||The Sun|||
|Steve Cowley||10 October 2017||Nuclear Fusion|||
|Tim Birkhead||17 October 2017||Bird promiscuity|||
|Ellen Stofan||24 October 2017||Being NASA Chief Scientist|||
|Adrian Thomas||31 October 2017||The mechanics of flight|
|Eben Upton||16 January 2018||Raspberry Pi|
|Eugenia Cheng||23 January 2018||The mathematics of mathematics|
|Wendy Barclay||30 January 2018||The flu virus|||
|Richard Henderson||13 February 2018||The molecules of life|
|John Burn||20 February 2018||The genetics of cancer|
|Ailie MacAdam||27 February 2018||The biggest construction project in Europe|
|Clare Grey||6 March 2018||Big battery challenge|
|Steve Reicher||13 March 2018||Psychology of crowds|
|Callum Roberts||1 May 2018||Marine conservation|
|Carlo Rovelli||8 May 2018||Why time is not what it seems|
|Caroline Dean||15 May 2018||Genetic secrets of flowering|
|John Taylor||29 May 2018||Being an inventor|
|Adrian Thomas||5 June 2018||The mechanics of flight|||
|Frank Close||12 June 2018||Particle physics|
|Rachel Mills||19 June 2018||Exploring the sea floor|
|Jacqueline McGlade||23 October 2018||Monitoring the environment from space|
|Noel Fitzpatrick||30 October 2018||Becoming a supervet|
|Suzanne O'Sullivan||6 November 2018||Detective of the mind|
|Mike Stratton||13 November 2018||Cancer genes|
|Caroline Hargrove||20 November 2018||Formula One|
|Alastair Hay||27 November 2018||Banning chemical weapons|
|Maggie Aderin-Pocock||4 December 2018||Sky at Night presenter|
|Clive Oppenheimer||11 December 2018||Volcanic offerings of our angry earth|
|Jim Al-Khalili||5 February 2019||HIS life scientific
Interviewed by Adam Rutherford
|Sue Black||12 February 2019||Women in Technology|||
|Gregory Winter||19 February 2019||2018 Nobel Prize in Chemistry|||
|Gwen Adshead||26 February 2019||The minds of violent offenders|||
|Donna Strickland||5 March 2019||2018 Nobel Prize in Physics|||
|Ken Gabriel||12 March 2019||Why your Smartphone is Smart|||
|Corinne Le Quéré||19 March 2019||Global carbon cycle|||
|Paul Davies||26 March 2019||Origin of life and the evolution of cancer|||
|Irene Tracey||2 April 2019||Pain in the brain|||
|Richard Peto||9 April 2019||Why smoking kills but quitting saves lives|||
|Erica McAlister||16 April 2019||The beauty of flies|||
|Richard Thompson||25 June 2019||Plastic pollution|||
|Ewine van Dishoeck||2 July 2019||Cosmic chemistry|||
|Turi King||9 July 2019||Ancient DNA|||
|Katherine Joy||16 July 2019||Lunar rock|||
|Robin Dunbar||23 July 2019||Why we have friends|||
|Jonathan Ball||30 July 2019||Arms race against viruses|||
|Richard Wiseman||1 October 2019||Lying, luck and the paranormal|||
|Anne Magurran||8 October 2019||How to measure biodiversity|||
|Martha Clokie||15 October 2019||The viruses that could improve our health|||
|Adrian Owen||22 October 2019||Scanning for awareness in the injured brain|||
|Saiful Islam||29 October 2019||Materials to power the 21st century|||
|Demis Hassabis||5 November 2019||Artificial intelligence|||
|Elizabeth Fisher||12 November 2019||Chromosomes in mice and men|||
- "The Life Scientific". BBC Online. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "Lord John Krebs on The Life Scientific, Radio 4". Future of Food. 2013-05-22. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Jones, Michael (2013-08-30). "Imperial in the news: The Life Scientific". Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Mahoney, Elisabeth (2011-10-11). "Radio head: The Life Scientific and One to One". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "The Life Scientific - Episode guide". BBC Online. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "Podcasts - The Life Scientific". BBC. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "Paul Nurse, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Steven Pinker, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Sir Michael Marmot, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Colin Blakemore, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Molly Stevens, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Nicky Clayton, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "John Sulston, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Uta Frith, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Tim Hunt, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Lord Robert Winston, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Colin Pillinger, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Robin Murray, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Chris Stringer, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Tony Ryan, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Wendy Barclay and the flu virus, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Adrian Thomas on the mechanics of flight, The Life Scientific - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Jim Al-Khalili on HIS life scientific". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Sue Black on women in tech". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, 2018 Chemistry Nobel Prize winner, Sir Gregory Winter". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Gwen Adshead on treating the minds of violent offenders". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, 2018 Nobel Prize winner, Donna Strickland, on laser physics". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Ken Gabriel, Why your Smartphone is Smart". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Corinne Le Quéré on the global carbon cycle". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Paul Davies on the origin of life and the evolution of cancer". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Paul Davies on the origin of life and the evolution of cancer". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Richard Peto on why smoking kills but quitting saves lives". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Erica McAlister on the beauty of flies". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Plastic pollution with Richard Thompson". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Ewine van Dishoeck on cosmic chemistry". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, DNA detective Turi King". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Katherine Joy on moon rock". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Robin Dunbar on why we have friends". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Jonathan Ball on his arms race against viruses". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Richard Wiseman on lying, luck and the paranormal". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Anne Magurran on how to measure biodiversity". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Martha Clokie on the viruses that could improve our health". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Adrian Owen on scanning for awareness in the injured brain". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Saiful Islam on materials to power the 21st century". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Demis Hassabis on artificial intelligence". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Elizabeth Fisher on chromosomes in mice and men". BBC. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Life Scientific.|