Association for Biblical Higher Education
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE), formerly The Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges (AABC) is a nationally recognized accrediting agency in the United States. It is recognized by the United States Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. The ABHE is inter-denominational but requires annual affirmation of a common statement of beliefs.
|Formation||1947 (not-for-profit corporation in 1954)|
|Philip E. Dearborn|
|Ron Kroll, Director, Kevn Hester COA Chair, David Arnett Board Chair|
The organization that is now the ABHE was founded in 1947 as the Accrediting Association of Bible Institutes and Bible Colleges. The name was shortened in 1957 to the Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges. From 1973 to 1994 the organization was called the American Association of Bible Colleges, but the name Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges was restored in 1994. In 2004 the name of the organization changed to the Association for Biblical Higher Education "in order to reflect its expansion of scope with graduate education accreditation and programmatic accreditation."
Organization structure and statisticsEdit
The ABHE is incorporated in the State of Illinois as a not-for-profit corporation and exempt from income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Currently, it is headquartered in Orlando, Florida.
As of 2011, the ABHE reported that its membership included nearly 140 Bible institutes, colleges, and universities in the United States and Canada, of which about 100 were accredited members. A total of 48,000 students were reported to be enrolled in ABHE-affiliated institutions.
Standards for accreditationEdit
To achieve or retain accreditation from ABHE, a school must demonstrate that it is accomplishing its mission and goals through a comprehensive system of assessment and planning.
- "Association Staff". Retrieved Oct 13, 2020.
- "Agency list". Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs. U.S. Department of Education. Archived from the original on 2011-11-30. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- History Archived July 24, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, ABHE website
- ABHE Facts, ABHE website, accessed 2 December 2011
- Ralph E. Enlow (2011), President's 2011 Annual Report Archived 2011-12-11 at the Wayback Machine, ABHE, accessed 2 December 2011
- Ralph E. Enlow (2011), President's PowerPoint Presentation Archived 2011-10-13 at the Wayback Machine, ABHE, accessed 2 December 2011
- "Comprehensive Standards" (PDF). ABHE. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 January 2016. Retrieved 3 February 2013.