The Archaeological Journal
The Archaeological Journal is a peer-reviewed academic journal for archaeological and architectural reports and articles. It was established in 1844 by the British Archaeological Association as a quarterly journal, but was taken over by the British Archaeological Institute (now known as the Royal Archaeological Institute) in 1845, and the Institute has remained its publisher ever since. The journal has been published annually since 1927.
Title page of the first issue, 1845
|Edited by||Lisa-Marie Shillito|
|ISO 4||Archaeol. J.|
The Archaeological Journal was established as a quarterly journal of the British Archaeological Association in 1844. When conflicts within that association led to the foundation of the rival British Archaeological Institute (now the Royal Archaeological Institute) in 1845, the Institute retained the journal, the Association instead publishing the Journal of the British Archaeological Association. Publication was quarterly (sometimes falling to twice or three times a year) until 1926. In 1927 the journal became an annual publication. From volume 51 (1894), issues bore the notice "second series".
The publisher of the journal has been variously listed as:
- 1844: Central Committee of the British Archaeological Association
- 1845–66: Central Committee of the Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland
- 1867 – Sept. 1875: Central Committee of the Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland
- Dec. 1875 – 1929: Council of the Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland
- 1930–59: Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland
- 1960–2015: Royal Archaeological Institute
- 2015–present: Taylor and Francis on behalf of the Royal Archaeological Institute
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "Item 1 of 4 for 'Identifier: 0066-5983'". Archaeological Journal. Copac. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
|Scholia has a venue profile for The Archaeological Journal.|