Talk:Jaguars in Mesoamerican cultures
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Hi, I suggest moving this article from "The Jaguar" to the title "The jaguar in Mesoamerica" or something similar. Any objection? -- Infrogmation 21:05, 8 Oct 2003 (UTC)
- Oops. Hadn't seen that comment. It seemed slightly nonconformist with the title beginning with "The". Are you happy with it here, would you like to move it back, or shall we look for some other place for it? (Mesoamerican jaguar cults, perhaps?) –Hajor 04:09, 10 Jun 2004 (UTC)
- Your move to "Jaguars in Mesoamerican culture" is fine by me. -- Infrogmation 05:19, 10 Jun 2004 (UTC)
To whom it may concern: I added (and tried to merge) in an extensive and well-written essay on the were-jaguar which was consuming much of the Olmec article. It could probably be blended with the previous content of this page a bit better.
At the same time, I put in headers and fixed some links. Madman 04:46, 23 January 2006 (UTC)
- Hey, me again. I got around to trying to better merge the two were-jaguar articles, and did an alright job, I guess. Is it just me, or are folks all over the map on the interpretation of this? I almost believe that nothing is known and everything is theorized. Madman 05:39, 1 February 2006 (UTC)
- Hey, it's me all over again. Who would believe a year's gone by?
- Anyway, I've been looking at this article again, and it looks to me like the were-jaguar section has taken over this article like it almost did the Olmec article. The section contains over half the words here, and so I think it's time to break it out into its own article and leave a summary here. Not sure what to call it? Olmec were-jaguar??? What do you think?? Madman 03:16, 18 March 2007 (UTC)
A quick question, out of curiosity - I know that among a least a few Maya languages, jaguars are called "balam" - As I don't really know much about the highland languages, I was curious if this was consistent among all Maya languages - anyone with the expertise know? thanks! -- Oaxaca dan 13:21, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
Jaguar worship elsewhere in the AmericasEdit
- It might warrant a brief mention that jaguar worship was common in a large portion of the Americas, but nothing too specific - Peru is well outside Mesoamerica. Regards, Simon Burchell (talk) 10:47, 21 March 2013 (UTC)