Sussex I State Prison
Sussex I State Prison is a prison of the Virginia Department of Corrections located in unincorporated Sussex County, Virginia, near Waverly.  It is adjacent to Sussex II State Prison, which lies to its northwest, just across Mussellwhite Drive.
|Location||24414 Musselwhite Drive |
|Security class||maximum / mixed|
|Managed by||Virginia Department of Corrections|
The prison, a maximum security facility, opened in May 1998. It serves as an intake facility. It includes the state death row for men. On August 3, 1998, the male death row moved from Mecklenburg Correctional Center to its current location. The actual execution chamber is in the Greensville Correctional Center.
- Edds, Margaret. "OFFICER BRUTALITY: 30,000 REASONS FOR PRISON OVERSIGHT < FROM DEATH ROW AT THE NEW SUSSEX I STATE PRISON NEAR WAKEFIELD COMES A TALE THAT, IF TRUE, WOULD RIVAL THE NEWS FROM NEW YORK." The Virginian-Pilot. May 30, 1999. Commentary J5. Retrieved on January 4, 2013. "And from death row at the new Sussex I state prison near Wakefield comes a tale that, if true, would rival the news from New York[..]"
- "DOC Appoints New Warden at Sussex I State Prison." Virginia Department of Corrections. March 9, 2006. Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- "Sussex I State Prison." Virginia Department of Corrections. Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- "Facts about Virginia's Death Row" (Archive). NBC4 Washington. Tuesday November 10, 2009. Retrieved on May 29, 2012.
- "Greensville Correctional Center/Greensville Work Center (major male institution)." Virginia Department of Corrections. Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
|This article about a United States prison is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|