Surf's Up 2: WaveMania
Surf's Up 2: WaveMania is a 2017 American direct-to-video 3D-rendered computer-animated mockumentary comedy film directed by Henry Yu. It is a sequel to the 2007 film Surf's Up. Produced by Sony Pictures Animation and WWE Studios, the film was released on January 17, 2017 on DVD and digital media.
|Surf's Up 2: WaveMania|
|Directed by||Henry Yu|
|Produced by||Michelle L.M. Wong|
|Written by||Abdul Williams|
|Music by||Toby Chu|
|Edited by||Mark Yeager|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Home Entertainment|
|Box office||$1.2 million|
Jeremy Shada and Melissa Sturm replace Shia LaBeouf and Zooey Deschanel as Cody Maverick and Lani Aliikai. Jon Heder and Diedrich Bader return as Chicken Joe and Tank Evans, respectively, while WWE professional wrestlers John Cena, The Undertaker, Triple H, Paige, and Vince McMahon make up the rest of the cast.
Two years after the events of Surf's Up, Cody Maverick, Lani Aliikai, Chicken Joe, and Tank Evans team up with The Hang 5 in a journey to a mysterious surf spot to ride a 50 feet (15 m) rogue wave.
- Jeremy Shada as Cody Maverick, a 19-year old northern rockhopper penguin and Lani's husband. Shada replaces Shia LaBeouf from the first film.
- Melissa Sturm as Lani Aliikai, a gentoo penguin and Cody's wife. Sturm replaces Zooey Deschanel from the first film.
- Jon Heder as Chicken Joe, a chicken and Cody's teammate, reprising his role from the first film.
- Diedrich Bader as Tank "The Shredder" Evans, an emperor penguin and Cody's rival and the main antagonist, reprising his role from the first film.
- John Cena as J.C.
- Mark Calaway as Undertaker
- Paul Levesque as Hunter
- Saraya-Jade Bevis as Paige
- Vince McMahon as Mr. McMahon
- Michael Cole as a Seagull
- Zoe Lulu as Kate
- Declan Carter as Arnold
- James Patrick Stuart as an Interviewer and Announcer
Since the release of the original, Mario Cantone, Jon Heder and Shia LaBeouf from the film had mentioned the possibility of a sequel several times. On March 1, 2016, Sony Pictures Entertainment announced that it had partnered with WWE Studios for a Surf's Up sequel. Henry Yu was hired as the director of the film, making this his directorial debut while Abdul Williams was tapped to write the screenplay.
The project was initiated by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), which inquired with Sony for a possible project that would help expand their brand and reach a new generation of audiences. According to Yu, WWE thought that Surf's Up had "a really fun vibe. It's really light-hearted. It's got a lot of goofy, cartoony fun." He also remarked that the film is "about surfing – it's about sports. So we thought it was a natural fit." All character designs had to be approved by WWE.
- Milligan, Mercedes (December 1, 2016). "Catch 'Wavemania' in Sony's 'Surf's Up 2' Trailer". Animation Magazine. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- Gallagher, Brian (December 1, 2016). "WWE Superstars Get Animated in Surf's Up 2: WaveMania Trailer #2". MovieWeb. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "WWE Superstars John Cena, Undertaker, Triple H, Paige and Mr. McMahon are "The Hang 5" in the Totally Tubular "Surf's Up 2: WaveMania"". World Wrestling Entertainment. November 30, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Surf's Up 2: WaveMania". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- Makuch, Eddie (March 1, 2016). "Sony and WWE Team Up for Surf's Up Sequel (Really)". GameSpot. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- Frosty (May 29, 2007). "Exclusive Video Interviews from the SURF'S UP Premiere in Hawaii". Collider. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- Anderton, Ethan (March 2, 2016). "'Surf's Up 2' Is Happening, But This Time with WWE Wrestlers as Surfers". /Film. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- Murphy, Jackson (January 27, 2017). "Director Henry Yu Talks 'Surf's Up 2: WaveMania'". Animation Scoop. Retrieved January 15, 2017.