Stop! In the Name of Love
|"Stop! In the Name of Love"|
Artwork for US vinyl single
|Single by the Supremes|
|from the album More Hits by The Supremes|
|B-side||"I'm In Love Again"|
|Released||February 8, 1965 (U.S.)|
|Recorded||January 5, January 7, and January 11, 1965|
|Studio||Hitsville U.S.A. (Studio A)|
|Genre||Pop, R&B, soul|
|Producer(s)||Brian Holland |
|The Supremes singles chronology|
|More Hits by The Supremes track listing|
"Stop! In the Name of Love"
Written and produced by Motown's main production team Holland–Dozier–Holland, "Stop! In the Name of Love" held the number one position on the Billboard pop singles chart in the United States from March 27, 1965 through April 3, 1965, and reached the number-two position on the soul chart.
Billboard named the song #38 on their list of 100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time.
The Supremes recorded "Stop! In the Name of Love" in January 1965 and released as a single on February 8. The song was included on the Supremes' sixth album, More Hits by The Supremes, and was nominated for the 1966 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Rock & Roll Group Vocal Performance, losing to "Flowers on the Wall" by the Statler Brothers.
The Supremes' choreography for this song involved one hand on the hip and the other outstretched in a "stop" gesture. They performed the song on an episode of the ABC variety program Shindig! which aired on Wednesday, February 24, 1965.
Cover versions and other usesEdit
- The Hollies' version peaked in the US at No. 29 and in Canada at No. 31 in 1983.
- American singer La Toya Jackson recorded the song for her 1995 album Stop in the Name of Love.
- The song is featured in the 1979 Universal Pictures film More American Graffiti and is also included in the soundtrack.
- Lead vocals by Diana Ross
- Backing vocals by Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson and the Andantes: Jackie Hicks, Marlene Barrow and Louvain Demps
- All instruments by the Funk Brothers
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 ||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Rhythm & Blues Singles||2|
|U.S. Cash Box Pop Singles Chart||1|
|Canadian RPM Singles Chart||3|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 ||20|
|U.S. Cash Box Top 100 ||24|
- "Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Company. 77 (13): 32. 1965. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Company. 77 (14): 28. 1965. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time: Critics' Picks". Billboard. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 26 – The Soul Reformation: Phase two, the Motown story. [Part 5]" (audio). Pop Chronicles. University of North Texas Libraries.
- "Supremes/Barbarians/Neil Sedaka/Stan Getz/Ruth Price". Shindig!. Season 1. Episode 29. Los Angeles. 24 February 1965. ABC. KABC.
- Sullivan, Steve (2017). Encyclopedia of Great Popular Song Recordings, Vol. 3. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 383.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955–2002
- "Phil Collins - full Official Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "American single certifications – Diana Ross & The Supremes – Stop, In The Name Of Love". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1965/Top 100 Songs of 1965". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Top 100 Year End Charts: 1965". Cashbox Magazine. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Top 100 1965 – UK Music Charts". Uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- List of cover versions of "Stop! In the Name of Love" at SecondHandSongs.com