Statistical Methods for Research Workers
Statistical Methods for Research Workers is a classic book on statistics, written by the statistician R. A. Fisher. It is considered by some to be one of the 20th century's most influential books on statistical methods, together with his The Design of Experiments (1935). It was originally published in 1925, by Oliver & Boyd (Edinburgh); the final and posthumous 14th edition was published in 1970.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2015)
Ronald A. Fisher was "interested in application and in the popularization of statistical methods and his early book Statistical Methods for Research Workers, published in 1925, went through many editions and motivated and influenced the practical use of statistics in many fields of study. His Design of Experiments (1935) [promoted] statistical technique and application. In that book he emphasized examples and how to design experiments systematically from a statistical point of view. The mathematical justification of the methods described was not stressed and, indeed, proofs were often barely sketched or omitted altogether ..., a fact which led H. B. Mann to fill the gaps with a rigorous mathematical treatment in his well-known treatise, Mann (1949)."
- Tests of Goodness of Fit, Independence and Homogeneity; with table of χ2
- Tests of Significance of Means, Difference of Means, and Regression Coefficients
- The Correlation Coefficient
- Intraclass Correlations and the Analysis of Variance
- Furthern Applications of the Analysis of Variance
- SOURCES USED FOR DATA AND METHODS INDEX
In the second edition of 1928 a chapter 9 was added: The Principles of Statistical Estimation.
- Scanned version of Statistical Methods first edition
- Page 87: Conniffe, Denis (1990–1991). "R. A. Fisher and the development of statistics—a view in his centenary year". Journal of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland. XXVI (3). Dublin: Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland. pp. 55–108. hdl:2262/2764. ISSN 0081-4776.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link) alternate URL
- The March 1951 issue of the Journal of the American Statistical Association contains articles celebrating the 25th anniversary of the publication of the first edition.
- A.W.F. Edwards (2005) "R. A. Fisher, Statistical Methods for Research Workers, 1925," in I. Grattan-Guinness (ed) Landmark Writings in Western Mathematics: Case Studies, 1640-1940, Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Savage, Leonard J. (1976). "On Rereading R. A. Fisher". Annals of Statistics. 4 (3): 441–500. doi:10.1214/aos/1176343456.
- Nature review of Fisher’s Statistical Methods
- BMJ review of Fisher’s Statistical Methods
- Student’s review of Fisher’s Statistical Methods
- Egon Pearson’s reviews of Fisher’s Statistical Methods
- Harold Hotelling’s review of Fishers’ Statistical Methods
- Leon Isserlis’s review of Fishers’ Statistical Methods