Starbeck railway station
Starbeck railway station is located in the eastern suburbs of Harrogate in North Yorkshire, England. It is located on the Harrogate Line 2.25 miles (3 km) east of Harrogate and is operated by Northern who provide all passenger train services.
The station dates from 1 September 1848 and was the first to serve Harrogate, although intending passengers initially had to make the two and a half mile connection from the town centre on foot or by horse bus as the Leeds & Thirsk company had elected to take an easily graded route to the east rather than cross the Crimple Valley and serve the town itself. The line on to Ripon and Thirsk was opened the following July, with a further line to Knaresborough and York (courtesy of the East & West Yorkshire Junction Railway) being completed on 1 October 1851. However it was not until both concerns had been absorbed by the North Eastern Railway some years later that the issue of a link into the centre of Harrogate was addressed, with a route via Dragon Junction to a new central station (and on via Crimple Valley Viaduct to Pannal Junction) being commissioned on 1 August 1862. This new loop soon became the preferred route for most through traffic between Leeds and Teesside, leaving Starbeck to be served primarily by York trains although some freight and excursion traffic continued to use the original L&T line for many years thereafter.
The station is unstaffed, but has ticket machines available. Shelters, timetable information boards and digital information screens are located on each platform - these are linked by a subway with ramps, so both have step-free access. Running information is also offered by means of automatic P.A announcements.
During evenings and on Sundays there is an hourly service in each direction.
There are proposals to create another station between Starbeck and Harrogate at Bilton.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Media related to Starbeck railway station at Wikimedia Commons