|Other names||Hae Kwang|
|Alma mater||Loyola University (BA)|
Tulane University (MA)
University of Texas at Austin (Ph.D.)
|Institutions||University of Kansas|
He is best known for his translations of the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid (published by the Hackett Publishing Company). The style of his translations is a more vernacular one, emphasizing conversational English rather than the formal tone of some older American English translations of classical verse. Lombardo designs his translations to be performed orally, as they were in ancient Greece. He also performs the poems, and has recorded them as audio books. In performance he also likes to play the drums, much like Ezra Pound.
Of Italian ancestry, Lombardo is a native of New Orleans. He has a B.A. from Loyola University in New Orleans, an M.A. from Tulane University, and a Ph.D. from the University of Texas (1976). In 1976 he joined the faculty at the University of Kansas, where he served as department chair for fifteen years and taught Greek and Latin at all levels, as well as general courses on Greek literature and culture. He was appointed University of Kansas Honors Program director in 2004.
Lombardo is a Zen master in the Kwan Um School of Zen. Along with his wife, Judith Roitman, who is a retired professor of mathematics at the University of Kansas and a published poet, he was a founding member of the Kansas Zen Center.
- Works and Days and Theogony (1993) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-179-8
- Tao Te Ching (1993) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-232-0
- Sky Signs: Aratus' Phaenomena (1983) North Atlantic Books. ISBN 978-0-938190-15-8
- Sappho's Poems and Fragments (2002) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-591-8
- Protagoras (1992) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-094-4
- Parmenides and Empedocles (1982) Grey Fox Press. ISBN 978-0-912516-66-0
- Iliad (2006) (Audiobook) Parmenides Publishing. ISBN 978-1-930972-08-7
- Iliad (1997) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 0-87220-352-2
- The Essential Iliad (2006) (Audiobook) Parmenides Publishing. ISBN 978-1-930972-12-4
- The Essential Iliad (2000) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-542-0
- The Essential Homer (2006) (Audiobook) Parmenides Publishing. ISBN 978-1-930972-10-0
- The Essential Homer (2000) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-540-6
- The Essential Aeneid (2006) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-791-2
- Odyssey (2006) (Audiobook) Parmenides Publishing. ISBN 978-1-930972-06-3
- Odyssey (2000) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-485-0
- Callimachus: Hymns, Epigrams, Select Fragments, with Diane Rayor (1987) Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN 978-0-8018-3281-9
- Aeneid (2005) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-732-5
- Zen Source Book, with Stephen Addiss and Judith Roitman (2008) Hacket Publishing. ISBN 978-0-87220-909-1
- Inferno (2008) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-87220-917-6
- Metamorphoses (September 2010) Hackett Publishing Company. ISBN 978-1-60384-308-9
- Kansas Zen Center
- Mendelsohn, Daniel (1997-07-20). "Yo, Achilles". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- Codrescu, Andrei (December 2006). "Driving over the wine-red hills with Homer on tape". Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "Our Teachers". Kansas Zen Center. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- Michael Leddy interviews Stanley Lombardo. Jacket Magazine. Jacket 21, February 2003.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Stanley Lombardo|