St Oswald's Church, Durham
|St Oswald's Church, Durham|
St Oswald's from Church Street
|Location||Church Street, Durham, County Durham, DH1 3DG|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Previous denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Dedication||Oswald of Northumbria|
|Functional status||Parish church|
|Heritage designation||Grade II* listed|
|Designated||6 May 1952|
|Years built||Late 12th century|
|Parish||St. Oswald Durham|
|Archdeaconry||Archdeaconry of Durham|
|Diocese||Diocese of Durham|
|Priest in charge||The Revd Peter Kashouris|
The present church dates from the late 12th century. It is likely built on the site of an earlier church. It was rebuilt in 1834 by Ignatius Bonomi. In 1864, Hodgson Fowler rebuilt the tower and the chancel, and added an organ chamber.
The church has stained glass windows. The west window dates from 1864 to 1866 and was designed by Morris & Co with some panels by Ford Madox Brown. Other windows were designed by Kempe and Co., and by Clayton and Bell.
In 1984, the organ and part of the chancel were destroyed by fire. A new organ was built by Peter Collins to the specifications of the organist David Higgins, and installed in a new gallery at the west end of the church. The organ was restored in 2019.
- David Higgins, organist and choirmaster from 1974 to 2006
- Historic England. "Church of St Oswald (1120678)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "About". St Oswald's Church, Durham. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- Jane (2018-07-05). "Restoring St Oswald's organ". Music in Durham. Retrieved 2019-07-02.
- "St Oswald, Durham". A Church Near You. Archbishops' Council. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 11 April 2017.