St. Lorenz, Nuremberg
St. Lorenz (St. Lawrence) is a medieval church of the former free imperial city of Nuremberg in southern Germany. It is dedicated to Saint Lawrence. The church was badly damaged during the Second World War and later restored. It is one of the most prominent churches of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria.
West facade of the St Lorenz
|Affiliation||Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Parish Church|
|Direction of façade||W|
The nave of the church was completed by around 1400. In 1439, work began on the choir in the form of a hall church in the late German Sondergotik style of Gothic architecture. The choir was largely completed by 1477 by Konrad Roriczer, although Jakob Grimm completed the intricate vaults.
The building and furnishing of the church was cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens. This is probably the reason why the art treasures of St. Lawrence were spared during the iconoclasm during the Reformation period. Despite St. Lawrence being one of the first churches in Germany to be Lutheran (1525), the wealthy citizens of Nuremberg wanted to preserve the memory of their ancestors and refused the removal of the donated works of art.
The west facade is richly articulated, reflecting the wealth of the Nuremberg citizens. The facade is dominated by the two towers, mirroring St. Sebald and indirectly Bamberg Cathedral with a sharp towering West portal doorway, and an indented rose window 9 metres in diameter.
The church has three organs.
- Main organ. Steinmeyer, Oettingen, 1937 rebuilt by Klais Orgelbau, Bonn, 2003. 5 manuals
- Stephans Organ. Steinmeyer op. 34 from 1862 formerly in the Evangelical Lutherin Church, Hersbruck, Restored in 2002 by Klais Orgelbau, Bonn. 2 manual
- Laurentius Organ. Klais Orgelbau, Bonn 2005. 3 manual.
Organists of St. LorenzEdit
The church has employed organists for over 500 years, many of them prominent musicians within Bavaria. Amongst the famous names are the following:
- Nicholas Pair (Bayer) ca. 1448
- Hans Seber 1510 - 1517
- Hans Feller 1517 - 1525
- Interregnum from 1525
- Georg Nötteleins ???? - 1565
- Paulus Lautensack 1565 - 1571
- Wilhelm Ende 1571 - 1581
- Kasper Hassler 1587 - 1616
- Johann Staaten 1611 - 1618
- Valentin Dretzel 1618 - 1634
- Sigmund Theophil Staden 1634 - 1655
- Albrect Martin Lunßdörffer 1688 - 1694
- Johann Löhner 1694 - 1705
- Wolfgang Förtsch 1705 - 1743
- Cornelius Heinrich Dretzel 1743 - 1764
- Johann Siebenkees 1764 - 1772
- Johann Gottlieb Frör 1814 - 1823
- Georg Friedrich Herrscher 1843 - 1870
- Carl Christian Mattäus 1871 - 1914
- Carl Böhm 1913 - 1917
- Walther Körner 1918 - 1962
- Frankl, 1960, p. 149.
- The Harvard Biographical Dictionary of Music. Don Michael Randel. Harvard University Press.
- Companion to Baroque Music. Julie Anne Sadie. University of California Press. 1998
- Frankl, Paul (1960). The Gothic: Literary Sources and Interpretations through Eight Centuries. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press. p. 916. LCCN 57005471.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Lorenz (Nürnberg).|
|This article about a Bavarian building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church building or other Christian place of worship in Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|