St. Johannis, Schalkau
The sacristy is the oldest part of the present building, built in Romanesque style in the 13th century. The building was first mentioned in 1232, listing the name of a priest. The church to which it belonged, burned down in 1505. Building of a new church began in 1516 with a choir in late-Gothic style. It was dedicated to John the Baptist in 1520 by bishop Nicopolis. The choir held a high altar and two side altars.
The nave was added in the 16th century, and renovated in 1663 erneuert. In 1690, the town was hit by a fire, and the church burnt down. It was restored in 1700, and the steeple added.
The present interior was shaped by Baumeister Rommel in 1884. The third balcony was removed, and the remaining two were painted. The choir was crowned with a star vault. Walls and ceiling were painted in moderation. Two life-size figure of Martin Luther and Melanchthon were added, but the latter disappeared. The organ was moved from the choir to the second balcony.
The parish is part of Kirchenkreis Sonneberg.
- "Johanniskirche Schalkau". suptur-sonneberg.de (in German). Retrieved 6 March 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Johannis (Schalkau).|
- Literature by and about St. Johannis, Schalkau in the German National Library catalogue
- Official website