Splice is a cloud-based music creation and collaboration platform which integrates with key digital audio workstations (DAWs) to offer automated online backup with version control, online and offline collaboration as well as visualization of the creation process.
|Type of business||Private|
|Headquarters||Santa Monica, CA|
New York, NY
|Registration||Optional (required for creating and downloading projects)|
|Launched||09 October 2013|
The site and the Mac application were launched in private beta in October 2013. A Windows version was released a few months later and the service became available to all in September 2014.
Music projects created on musician computers get automatically backed up every time the producer makes a save. All audio file dependencies are also being backed up. A series of optimizations are implemented to optimize the process for speed and low resource usage.
All saves are privately available to the creator via a timeline representation online. At any moment in time, producers can reload previously saved versions which load automatically on their computers.
Collaborators can be added to any private projects so they can open previous versions and contribute new versions. Once a project reaches a milestone, producers often release a version publicly, making the "source code" of the track available (DAW session, audio files and presets).
The site also provides social networking functions such as feeds and followers.
- Kafka, Peter. Splice, a digital hub for musicians, helped make a No. 1 hit. Now it has $35 million in funding.. Recode. December 14, 2017.
- "Splice: Ableton Live Session Management + Collaboration in the Cloud". DJ TechTools. 9 October 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- Dickey, Megan Rose. "GroupMe Cofounder Steve Martocci Just Snagged $2.75 Million For His New Music Startup, Splice". Business Insider. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Scooter Braun, Tiesto, Steve Angello Invest in Splice". Billboard. 18 September 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Music Collaboration Suite Splice Raises $4.5M From True And DJs, Launches Public Beta". TechCrunch. Retrieved 3 March 2020.