Christ Church Picture Gallery: Difference between revisions

m
(Rescuing 2 sources and tagging 0 as dead. #IABot (v2.0beta15))
m (Bot: link syntax)
{{ref improve|date=April 2013}}
[[File:Carracci-Butcher's shop.jpg|thumb|''The Butcher's Shop'' by [[Annibale Carracci]], c. 1580–1590, Christ Church Picture Gallery, Oxford.]]
'''Christ Church Picture Gallery''' is an [[art museum]] at [[Christ Church, Oxford|Christ Church]], one of the colleges of [[Oxford University]] in [[England]]. The gallery holds an important collection of about 300 Old Master paintings and nearly 2,000 drawings. It is one of the most important private collections in the [[United Kingdom]]. The greater part of the collection was bequeathed by a former member of the college, [[John_Guise_(British_Army_officer)|General John Guise]], arriving after his death in 1765.<ref>[http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/gallery Christ Church Picture Gallery.] Christ Church, Oxford; 22 January 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.</ref><ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Christ%20Church%20Matters%20~%20Issue%2035.pdf|title=Christ Church Matters, Issue 35|page=12–15|accessdate=25 August 2015 }}</ref> Further gifts and bequests were made by [[William Fox-Strangways, 4th Earl of Ilchester|W. T. H. Fox-Strangways]], [[Walter Savage Landor]], Sir Richard Nosworthy & C.R. Patterson (Russian Orthodox metal plaques, many enamelled).
 
The Picture Gallery is especially strong on [[Italy|Italian]] art from the 14th to 18th centuries. The collection includes paintings by [[Annibale Carracci]] (''[[The Butcher's Shop]]''), [[Duccio]], [[Fra Angelico]], [[Hugo van der Goes]], [[Giovanni di Paolo]], [[Filippino Lippi]] ([[The Wounded Centaur]]), [[Sano di Pietro]], [[Frans Hals]], [[Salvator Rosa]], [[Tintoretto]], [[Anthony van Dyck]] and [[Paolo Veronese]], and drawings by [[Leonardo da Vinci]], [[Raphael]], [[Michelangelo]], [[Albrecht Dürer]] and [[Peter Paul Rubens]] and a great range of other artists, especially Italians.<ref name="FT">{{cite web |url=http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/ad722962-b6e9-11df-b3dd-00144feabdc0.html|title=Old Masters in an Oxford museum|accessdate=25 August 2015 }}</ref>
The drawings collection is shown by a small exhibition, changing roughly every three months, and sometimes showing works not in the permanent collection, especially those by modern artists. The gallery was designed by [[Hidalgo Moya]] and [[Philip Powell (architect)|Philip Powell]], and built in 1968, enabling the collection to be open to the public for the first time. It is located in the Deanery garden.<ref name="FT" />
 
Professor [[Joanna Woodall]] of the [[Courtauld Institute]] is a former Assistant Curator of the gallery.<ref name=Ct>[http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/people/woodall-joanna.shtml Professor Joanna Woodall.] The Courtauld Institute, 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.</ref> The current (2015) curator is Jacqueline Thalmann.<ref name="FT" />
 
==Publications==
985,999

edits