Linz am Rhein: Difference between revisions

m
(→‎Notes: added link)
m (→‎History: link)
Between 1206 and 1214 the parish church of St. Martin was built at the most elevated spot of the town. A former church, which was located at the same place, had been destroyed during the fights of [[Otto IV]] and [[Philip of Swabia]] in 1198. During reconstruction work in 1981 the remains of graves and foundations belonging to the former church were found.
 
The most important political decision for Linz was taken in the late Middle Ages. Between 1304 and 1332 Linz was officially awarded city status by the [[Archbishop of Cologne]], [[Heinrich II of Virneburg]]. Shortly after having been declared a "city", the castle [[Burg Linz]] was built.
 
In 1391 a fire destroyed two thirds of the city. In 1475 the Emperor's troops occupied Linz during the [[Siege of Neuss|Neuss War]]. The town hall, which is one of the major sights of Linz, was built in 1517.