9th Street station (PATH): Difference between revisions

m
→‎History: (null) first paragraph refs taken from Minetta Creek
m (→‎History: (null) first paragraph refs taken from Minetta Creek)
 
==History==
The construction of the 9th Street station was particularly difficult. In 1900, construction workers for the [[Hudson and Manhattan Railroad]] (H&M), the PATH's predecessor, had to navigate [[quicksand]] formed from the water of the former [[Minetta Creek]] above it. Their work was particularly difficult as they could not break the surface of Sixth Avenue, which would have disrupted traffic.<ref>{{cite journal |first=J. Vipond |last=Davies |title=The Hudson and Manhattan Tunnel System | journal=Railroad Age Gazette |volume=47 |date=October 1, 1909 | via=HathiTrust | url=https://hdl.handle.net/2027/njp.32101049000761?urlappend=%3Bseq=620 | access-date=February 13, 2018 |page=585}}</ref> In 1907, the Degnon Contracting Company was building an extension to the H&M Railroad north of 9th Street and declared the water to have dried up, to the relief of area property owners who had previously spent thousands of dollars on pumps to rid their properties of water.<ref>{{Cite news|url=http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/highlight-for-xml?altUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252024%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Tribune%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Tribune%25201907%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Tribune%25201907%252009-13%2520Page%25205.pdf|title=Who Stole the Creek?|work=New York Tribune|date=September 13, 1907|access-date=February 13, 2018|page=5|via=Fultonhistory.com}}</ref>
 
The station opened on February 25, 1908, as part of the H&M extension between New Jersey and [[33rd Street station (PATH)|33rd Street]].<ref>{{cite news | title=TROLLEY TUNNEL OPEN TO JERSEY; President Turns On Power for First Official Train Between This City and Hoboken. REGULAR SERVICE STARTS Passenger Trains Between the Two Cities Begin Running at Midnight. EXERCISES OVER THE RIVER Govs. Hughes and Fort Make Congratulatory Addresses -- Dinner at Sherry's in the Evening. | work=The New York Times | date=February 26, 1908 | url=http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9507E2D81F3EE233A25755C2A9649C946997D6CF | access-date=February 13, 2018}}</ref> Until 1941 there was an exit on the west side of Sixth Avenue between Waverly Place and Greenwich Avenue, currently a newsstand.