Bad Frankenhausen: Difference between revisions

slightly more detail from source already linked due to stirring of curiosity
m (Cleaned up the earlier added citation.)
(slightly more detail from source already linked due to stirring of curiosity)
* Frankenhausen Castle, with medieval foundations from the 14th century on, served as a residence of the [[House of Schwarzburg]]. Heavily damaged during the Peasants' War, it was rebuilt in [[Renaissance architecture|Renaissance]] style between 1533 and 1536. Today it houses a museum of local history.
* The church of Our Dear Lady at the Mountain, colloquially called ''Oberkirche'' (Upper Church), built in 1382, is known for its spire, which precariously inclines to the side. The imbalance caused by [[sinkhole]]s of the nearby salt mines had already started to affect it in the 17th century, for the [[Baroque architecture|Baroque]] top partly equalises the slant of the tower. When last measured, it leant at 4.8°,<ref>Christoph Seidler, [,1518,691881,00.html "Built on Salt: The Leaning Tower of Bad Frankenhausen"], ''[[Der Spiegel]]'' 29 April 2010.</ref> increasing 6&nbsp;cm/2.4&nbsp;ins a year, and thus is the second most leaning tower of Germany (after the [[Leaning Tower of Suurhusen|spire of the Suurhusen Church]]) and leaning to a greater extent than the [[Leaning Tower of Pisa|Tower of Pisa]].<ref>Bojan Pancevski, Colin Freeman, Malcolm Moore, [ "Churches Challenge Leaning Tower of Pisa"], ''Sunday Telegraph'', 22 July 2007.</ref> In 2014, the German federal government agreed to pay €950,000 for work to stabilise the lean of the tower, fitting a "steel corset", thereby saving the towerstructure from potentialthe risk of demolition.<ref>{{cite news |last=Huggler |first=Justin |date=2014-11-20 |title=Europe's tallest 'wonky' tower to be saved from collapse |url= |work=The Telegraph |access-date=2017-04-06}}</ref>
* The Kyffhäuser mountain range north of the town is the site of the [[Kyffhäuser Monument]], a huge sculpture in celebration of German national unity built from 1890 to 1896 to plans by [[Bruno Schmitz]] on the ruins of a former [[Kaiserpfalz]].