Planning permission: Difference between revisions

m (Redlink)
==In specific industries==
As part of [[broadcast law]], the term is also used in [[broadcasting]], where individual [[radio station|radio]] and [[television station]]s typically must apply for and receive permission to construct [[Radio masts and towers|radio tower]]s and [[radio antenna]]s. This type of permit is issued by a national broadcasting authority, but does ''not'' imply [[zoning]] any other permission that must be given by [[local government]]. The permit itself also does not necessarily imply permission to operate the station once constructed. In the U.S., a construction permit is valid for three years. Afterwards, the station must receive a full license to operate, which is good for seven years.<ref>[ Construction Permits]</ref> This is provided by a separate [[broadcastingbroadcast license]], also called a "license to cover" by the [[Federal Communications Commission]] (FCC) in the United States. Further permission or registration for [[tower]]s may be needed from [[aviation]] authorities.
In the U.S., construction permits for commercial stations are now assigned by auction, rather than the former process of determining who would serve the [[community of license]] best. If the given [[frequency allocation]] is sought by at least one [[non-commercial educational]] (NCE) applicant, or is on an NCE-reserved TV channel or in the [[FM broadcasting|FM]] reserved band, the comparative process still takes place, though the FCC refuses to consider which [[radio format]] the applicants propose.