The earliest seal whose appearance is known – there had been earlier ones, but what they looked like is unknown – dates from 1277 and shows the four [[Lion (heraldry)|lions]] (golden ones denoting [[House of Nassau|Nassau]]; silver ones denoting [[Saarbrücken]]), since the town was ruled then by the [[Nassau-Saarbrücken|Counts of Nassau-Saarbrücken]]. Later seals did not show the billets and crosses with which the fields are spangled, but they reappeared in 1935, when the current arms were conferred. An earlier town symbol, a cloverleaf (or heraldically, a [[Trefoil|trefoil]]), may explain the charge on the inescutcheon. This was also added to the arms in 1935.[http://www.ngw.nl/int/dld/u/usingen.htm]
Usingen lies on the [[Usa River (Germany)|Usa River]] in the Usinger Becken at the north-eastern edge of the [[Taunus]]. It is located about 30 km north of [[Frankfurt am Main]], 27 km south of Wetzlar and 38 km northeast of [[Wiesbaden]], putting it on the edge of the [[Frankfurt Rhein-Main Region]].