Mariners' Museum and Park: Difference between revisions

m
clean up using AWB
m (clean up using AWB)
 
== History ==
The museum was founded in 1930 by [[Archer M. Huntington|Archer Milton Huntington]], son of [[Collis P. Huntington]], a railroad builder who brought the [[Chesapeake and Ohio Railway]] to [[Warwick County, Virginia]], and who founded the City of Newport News, its [[coal]] export facilities, and [[Northrop Grumman Newport News|Newport News Shipbuilding]] in the late 19th century.
 
Huntington and his wife, the sculptor [[Anna Hyatt Huntington]], acquired {{convert|800|acre}} of land that would come to hold {{convert|90000|sqft}} of exhibition galleries, a research library, a {{convert|167|acre|sing=on}} lake, a {{convert|5|mi|sing=on}} shoreline trail with fourteen bridges, and over 35,000 maritime artifacts from around the globe. After the land acquisition took place, the first two years were devoted to creating and improving a natural park and constructing a dam to create [[Lake Maury]], named after the nineteenth-century Virginia [[oceanographer]], Commodore [[Matthew Fontaine Maury]].
== USS ''Monitor'' Center ==
[[Image:Marineers Museum Monitor.jpg|thumb|right|New replica of USS ''Monitor'', dedicated March 9th, 2007]]
The Mariners' Museum is home to the USS ''Monitor'' Center. In 1973, the wreck of the ironclad [[USS Monitor|USS ''Monitor'']], made famous in the [[Battle of Hampton Roads]] in 1862, during the [[American Civil War]], was located on the floor of the [[Atlantic Ocean]] about 16 miles southeast of [[Cape Hatteras]], [[North Carolina]].<ref name=Dinsmore1999>{{cite journal |authorauthor1=Dinsmore, David A; |author2=Broadwater, John D |title=1998 NOAA Research Expedition to the Monitor National Marine Sanctuary. |journal=In: Hamilton RW, Pence DF, Kesling DE, eds. Assessment and Feasibility of Technical Diving Operations for Scientific Exploration. |publisher=[[American Academy of Underwater Sciences]] |year=1999 |url=http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/9000 |accessdate=2011-01-30}}</ref> The wreck site was designated as the United States' first national marine sanctuary. ''Monitor'' Sanctuary is the only one of the thirteen national marine sanctuaries created to protect a cultural resource, rather than a natural resource or a mix of natural and cultural resources.<ref name=Dinsmore1999/>
 
The [[Monitor National Marine Sanctuary]] is now under the supervision of the U.S. [[National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration]].<ref name=Dinsmore1999/> Many artifacts from ''Monitor'', including her innovative [[turret]], propeller, anchor, engine and some personal effects of the crew, have been brought to the museum. For several years, they were conserved in special tanks to stabilize the metal. The new USS ''Monitor'' Center officially opened on March 9, 2007, and a full-scale replica of the ''Monitor'', the original recovered turret, and many artifacts and related items are now on display.<ref name=dp2007a>{{cite journal |author=Ericson, Mark St. John |date=2007-03-09 |title=The center opens |journal=[[Daily Press (Virginia)]] |url=http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-monitoropening-m09,0,3701088.story |accessdate=2011-01-30}}</ref><ref name=dp2007b>{{cite journal |author=Ericson, Mark St. John |date=2007-02-26 |title=Part 3: Replicating the mighty turret |journal=[[Daily Press (Virginia)]] |url=http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-monitorreplica,0,7193973.story |accessdate=2011-01-30}}</ref> Current efforts are focused on restoring the engine.<ref name=LAT2010>{{cite journal |author=Ericson, Mark St. John |date=2010-12-18 |title=Restoration efforts on Civil War steam engine progressing |journal=[[Los Angeles Times]] |url=http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/18/nation/la-na-monitor-engine-20101219 |accessdate=2011-01-30}}</ref>