Library of Michigan: Difference between revisions
In 1828, a territorial library was created containing laws and government documents for use by the territorial council, and William B. Hunt
In 1879, the state library moved to the new [[Michigan State Capitol|State Capitol]] in Lansing. It was originally a two-story room on the second and third floor in the west wing. The space is now the Speaker's Library on the second floor and the House Appropriations Committee room on the third floor.
A fire in the State Office Building where the library was housed in 1951 destroyed 20,000 books and
Public Act 540 of 1982 created the Library of Michigan and transferred control of the library from the Department of Education to the Legislative Council. Three years later, the Library of Michigan Foundation, which secures funds to support the library’s priority programs and projects,
In 2001, the library was moved to the new Department of History, Arts and Libraries. After that department's abolition in 2009, the library was moved back to the Department of Education.<ref>[http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,2351,7-160-19270_28958-58705--,00.html Library of Michigan: 175 Years of Service]</ref><ref>[http://www.michigan.gov/documents/gov/EO36_285881_7.pdf Michigan Executive Order 2009-36: Abolishing the Department of History, Arts and Libraries]</ref>