It was mentioned for the first time in 1203 . Soon it became an important trading place along the "Goldener Steig" (Golden Path), a salt-trading route between Bavaria and Bohemia in the late [[Middle Ages]]. In the 13th century the [[Bishop of Passau]] gave '''Waldkirchen ''' the title of a "Markt" ([[Market (place)|market]]).
After several raids
of [[Bohemian]] soldiers during the 15th century the city was surrounded by the "Ringmauer", a big stonewall which is still to be seen in many places of the city.
Belonging to the Bishop of Passau's territory for more than 600 years, the city became part of the [[Kingdom of Bavaria]] in 1806 and in 1871 of the [[German Empire]].
Waldkirchen burned down
6 times (1492 - 1945 ). The last time was on April 26th 1945, when the 16th Company of Regiment Grossdeutschland, SS Panzer Grenadier Division "Das Reich" arrived from St. Pölten, Austria. Each squad of 10 men was armed with 1 Light Machine Gun, 1 machine pistol, 2 Panzerfaust and rifles. In combat with the 11th Armored Division, eight civilians were killed, 48 houses and city's historical church were destroyed. In the course of action 120 families lost shelter.
The totally devastated city was rebuilt during the 1950s and was chartered in 1972.
Waldkirchen was host of the 2007 [[Landesgartenschau]].