Usingen: Difference between revisions

→‎History: comma needed
(→‎History: comma needed)
 
==History==
Usingen ([[Latin]] ''Osinga''), which in [[Franks|Frankish]] times likely existed as a fortified stopping place at an old crossroads, was first mentioned in a document in 802 in the ''Codex Eberhardi'' from the [[Fulda]] Monastery, although what exists nowadays itself dates from the late 12th century, referring to an earlier document. This codex, however, contains quite a few falsifications, which has led to doubts about the reliability of the statements. [[Archaeology|Archaeological]] proof of a settlement on the modern town's site back in [[Carolingian]] times has yet to be unearthed, although, not far from town, the remains of a Carolingian courtyard were once dug up. The possibility therefore exists that today's Usingen might not lie on the same spot as it once did, having relocated at some time in the past. More investigation will be needed before this is ascertained.
 
In 1207, being on the outskirts of the ''Usinger Land'', it passed into the ownership of the Counts of Diez, who had acquired this Imperial estate in exchange for Mainz-Kastell (fort).
Anonymous user