Mariners' Museum and Park: Difference between revisions

m
Reverted edits by 12.27.66.5 (talk) to last revision by ChrisCork (HG)
m (Reverted edits by 12.27.66.5 (talk) to last revision by ChrisCork (HG))
 
== History ==
The museum was founded in 1930 by [[Archer M. Huntington|Archer Milton Huntington]], son of [[Collis P. Huntington]], a railroad builder who brought the [[Chesapeake and Ohio Railway]] toCountyto [[Warwick County, Virginia]], and who founded the City of Newport News, its [[coal]] export facilities, and [[Northrop Grumman Newport News|Newport News Shipbuilding]] in the late 19th century.
 
Huntington and his wife, the sculptor [[Anna Hyatt Huntington]], acquired {{convert|800|acre}} of land that would come to hold {{convert|90000|sqft}} of exhibition galleries, a research library, a {{convert|167|acre|sing=on}} lake, a {{convert|5|mi|sing=on}} shoreline trail with fourteen bridges, and over 35,000 maritime artifacts from around the globe. After the land acquisition took place, the first two years were devoted to creating and improving a natural park and constructing a dam to create [[Lake Maury]], named after the nineteenth-century Virginia [[oceanographer]], Commodore [[Matthew Fontaine Maury]].